Jharkhand youth among 2 fishermen drowned near ThaneMarch 10th, 2012 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Thane (Maharashtra), March 10 (IANS) Two fishermen, including one from Jharkhand, drowned near Bhayander’s Uttan Beach here after their fishing vessel capsized in the high tide Friday evening, police said here Saturday.
According to an official from Bhayander Police Station, the fishing boat with 11 fishermen aboard was returning from the sea after the day’s work.
Barely 300 metres from the Uttan shore, it was caught in high tide waves and capsized in the waters.
Two persons - Gangadhar Lachhu Rai (22) of Jharkhand and Surendra Dinu Amberbom (45), of Thane - drowned, the official said.
While Gangadhar’s body was recovered Friday night, Surendra’s body was found Saturday morning by a police search team.
The other nine fishermen aboard were safely rescued from the waters, the official said.
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- Hippo kills man in Burundi - Aug 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Six women dead in boat capsize - Mar 04, 2011
- 13 drowned as boat capsizes on Chambal river - Nov 13, 2011
- Ten Indian fishermen held by Pakistanis - Jan 08, 2011
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Thane; four drown - Jul 30, 2011
- RPI youth wing president murdered - Dec 30, 2011
- Four killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Aug 10, 2012
- 13 killed as boat capsizes in Tamil Nadu lake - Dec 25, 2011
- Six die in building collapse - Sep 23, 2011