Jharkhand to introduce video conferencing for prisonersFebruary 26th, 2009 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 26 (IANS) Prisons in Jharkhand will soon have video conferencing facilities to enable relatives of prisoners to talk to jail inmates from even remote areas.
“As per plan, the relatives of the prisoners would not need to travel from villages to jails to meet the prisoners. They will only need to travel to their respective Pragya Kendras in their blocks to talk to their jailed kin via video conferencing,” a prisons department official said.
“At present 110 of the total 252 blocks are connected through video conferencing facilities. Efforts are on to connect the rest as well. We can start the video conferencing with our present infrastructure,” he added.
“We will also take precautions to ensure that Maoist rebels do not misuse the facilities. We will also not end the physical meeting of prisoners and relatives,” said the official.
Jharkhand has 26 jails, including two central jails. They house nearly 19,000 prisoners, including around 900 Maoist rebels, although the total capacity is 6,000.
- Raja to take part in court proceedings through video conferencing from Tihar - Mar 01, 2011
- Tihar authorities term PUDR report 'false' - Jan 20, 2012
- Punjab to give telephone facility in jails - Nov 11, 2009
- Raja to depose from jail via video-conferencing (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Jail inmates to be brought before courts - virtually - Mar 19, 2010
- Mumbai jail's women inmates go on hunger strike - Dec 26, 2011
- 10 Ranchi jail staffers suspended for prisoners' death - Jun 06, 2011
- 'Surrendered Maoists neglected by Jharkhand government' - Jun 19, 2011
- Punjab jail to have phone jammer - Sep 08, 2010
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- Shah to appear before court through video-conferencing - Aug 20, 2010
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Chhattisgarh steps up security during Maoist protest week - Jun 03, 2012
- Special police teams to keep vigil on top Maoist leaders (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Venezuelan inmates hold 700 jail visitors hostage - Jan 08, 2012