Jharkhand speaker disallows two suspended BJP MLAs to voteAugust 28th, 2008 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 28 (IANS) A day ahead of Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren seeking a trust vote in the assembly, Speaker Aalam Gir Aalam Thursday suspended the voting rights of two suspended Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators. The two suspended BJP legislators are Vishnu Bhaiya and Manohar Tekriwal.
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren is to prove his majority on Friday.
Both BJP legislators, suspended last year for anti-party activities, had announced their support for Soren.
The BJP had raised the issue with the speaker and demanded action against the suspended legislators. The BJP suspended five legislators for anti-party activities.
Welcoming the decision, state BJP president P.N. Singh said: “We partially welcome the decision. Justice would have been done if the speaker had suspended the voting rights of all the legislators.” Cases are pending with the speaker against 10 legislators, including the five suspended BJP legislators.
The speaker’s decision is unlikely to have any impact on the survival of the Soren government.
In the 82-member house, Soren enjoys the support of 42 legislators. Of the 42, 17 belong to the JMM, nine to the Congress, seven to the Rashtriya Janata Dal and the rest belong to either smaller parties or are Independents or unattached.
Soren took oath as chief minister on Wednesday.
- Shibu Soren to decide JMM's stand on presidential poll - Jun 24, 2012
- Kishenji's death not good for country: Shibu Soren - Dec 02, 2011
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
- Advani upset over coalition with JMM in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2010
- Hope BJP will support our Rajya Sabha candidate: JMM - Mar 26, 2012
- BJP's Arjun Munda to take oath as Jharkhand CM today - Sep 11, 2010
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- JMM fields Saneev Kumar for Rajya Sabha - Apr 17, 2012
- JMM unhappy with BJP for denying power by rotation - May 11, 2010
- Soren to seek trust vote on May 31 - May 27, 2010
- BJP's Arjun Munda sworn in as Jharkhand CM for the third time - Sep 11, 2010
- Shibu Soren will continue as chief minister, says son - May 02, 2010
- BJP, JMM to rule Jharkhand in rotation, Soren may quit May 25 (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- BJP's Arjun Munda to take oath as Jharkhand CM on Sept. 11 - Sep 09, 2010