Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: Congress, JMM win, BJP losesMay 3rd, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 3 (IANS) The Congress and the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) won a Rajya Sabha seat each from Jharkhand Thursday while the ruling BJP faced a humiliating defeat in the elections for two seats from the state.
Senior BJP leader S.S. Ahluwalia failed to retain his seat.
Sixty-eight legislators of the 81-member assembly cast their votes, with Congress, JMM and BJP candidates Pradeep Balmuchu, Sanjiv Kumar and Ahluwalia securing 25, 23 and 20 votes respectively.
The Congress, which has 13 legislators, sailed through by securing the votes of five RJD members and seven independents.
The JMM, which has 18 legislators, got support of five members of ruling alliance partner All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU).
The BJP, which also has 18 legislators, secured the votes of two Janata Dal-United members.
The second main opposition party, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), which has 11 legislators, stayed away from voting.
The two Rajya Sabha seats fell vacant as the terms of BJP’s Ahluwalia and Congress’ Mabel Rebello ended.
The polling had taken place March 30 but the Election Commission of India countermanded this after Rs.2.15 crore was seized from vehicle of a relative of an independent candidate.
- Six in fray for two Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
- Jailed legislators helped Congress: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Ahuwalia files nomination for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 21, 2012
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Munda licks wounds after BJP defeat - May 04, 2012
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Congress, JMM seek review of cancellation of RS poll - Mar 31, 2012
- AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: High court dismisses petition - Apr 05, 2012
- JVM-P accuses Congress of horse trading again - Apr 21, 2012
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
Tags: ahluwalia, alliance partner, bjp leader, congress, crore, election commission of india, independent candidate, independents, janata, jharkhand, legislators, mabel, main opposition party, member assembly, rajya sabha, ranchi, rebello, rs 2, sanjiv kumar, students union