Jharkhand officials under scanner for starvation death of tribalsOctober 6th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 6 (IANS) Advisors to the commissioner appointed by the Supreme Court to look into the tribal deaths in Jharkhand have found that the deaths occurred due to starvation and not food poisoning as claimed by officials of the district administration, against whom action is likely. Last week eight people belonging to Birhor tribe died in Hindiakala village of Chatra district, some 190 km from Ranchi.
Officials of the district administration cited food poisoning as the reason for the deaths and said the tribals had consumed wild roots.
“It is not a case of food poisoning as cited by the district administration officials. The tribals died due to starvation,” said the advisor of the commissioner appointed by the Supreme Court.
He said: “This is criminal negligence and a police complaint will be lodged against the officials.”
The team found that the Birhor tribe’s people did not possess Antyodaya (Scheme of providing ration to the poorest section of the society) card.
The team found that the ration cards were with the dealers of the Public Distribution System (PDS) outlets. It also found that the Birhor tribesmen were not provided food grain under any government scheme since 1998.
Birhor is one of the nine primitive tribes of Jharkhand whose population is declining fast.
- Panel questions lack of post-mortem after death of nine tribals - Nov 04, 2008
- 20 primitive tribals die in Jharkhand in one month - Oct 31, 2008
- The vulnerable lives of Bengal's Birhor tribals - Feb 06, 2011
- Mahadalit families in Bihar living in starvation - Jan 19, 2010
- Maoist slit contractor's throat - Feb 03, 2011
- Jharkhand to provide lunch for Rs.5 to the poor - Aug 03, 2011
- 100 starvation deaths in Bihar in three years? - Oct 20, 2009
- Bihar government may be hard put to explain 'starvation deaths' - Dec 03, 2009
- Seven electrocuted to death in Jharkhand - Apr 13, 2012
- Jharkhands Birhor tribals still lead a primitive lifestyle - Oct 23, 2008
- Top Reliance Power official shot in Jharkhand - Apr 06, 2011
- Hunger drives widow to commit suicide in Bihar - Mar 04, 2010
- Bihar's food security situation alarming, says expert - Jun 16, 2011
- Lightning kills 11 in Jharkhand - Apr 14, 2011
- Infected foodgrain being supplied to poor in Mumbai: BJP - Aug 09, 2010