Jharkhand felicitates its National Games medallistsDecember 10th, 2011 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 9 (IANS) Ten months after the 34th National Games, Jharkhand Friday felicitated medal winners from the state in presence of hometown boy and Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
“There are no short-cuts in life. Do not get satiated by winning medals. Make more efforts to do better in future. Hard work is the only way to be successful in sports. I will make all efforts to improve sports in the state,” said Dhoni while speaking on the occasion.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda said: “We have constructed world class infrastructure for National Games. Jharkhand has many talents in sports and we hope the state will produce many national and international level players”.
Jharkhand stood on fifth position in the Games held in Ranchi, Jamshedpur, and Dhanbad in February, winning a total of 96 medals — 33 gold, 26 silver and 37 bronze.
The medal winners had expressed anger over delay in awarding the cash money announced by Munda at the Games’ closing ceremony.
The gold, silver and bronze medallists were now handed over cheques of Rs.7 lakh, Rs.5 lakh and Rs.3 lakh respectively.
Besides Dhoni and Munda, two Deputy Chief Ministers Sudesh Mahto and Hemant Soren, and Dhoni’s wife Sakshi were also present.
- Jharkhand government felicitates CWG archers, ignores hockey player - Oct 20, 2010
- National Games: Jharkhand athletes yet to get cash awards - Apr 20, 2011
- Swimmers win best athlete awards at National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- Glittering ceremony rings curtain down on National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- Jharkhand to felicitate CWG medalists - Oct 15, 2010
- National Games: Jharkhand dominate in taekwondo, Services in rowing - Feb 15, 2011
- 34th National Games promise to be a grand affair - Feb 11, 2011
- Cash prizes for Jharkhand medal winners in National Games - Feb 27, 2011
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- Six states failed to win a gold at National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee announces awards for Railway players winning CWG medals - Oct 08, 2010
- Gold winner Deepika was always on target - with mangoes! - Oct 10, 2010
- Garland instead of medal at the National Games! - Feb 24, 2011
- National Games: Manipur top medal tally with ten wushu gold - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: arjun munda, bronze medallists, chief minister, chief ministers, closing ceremony, dhanbad, fifth position, gold silver, hemant, hometown boy, indian cricket team, jamshedpur, lakh, mahendra singh dhoni, medal winners, national games, ranchi, sakshi, soren, world class infrastructure