Jewellery shop burgled in Tamil Nadu townFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 21 (IANS) Burglars targeted a jewellery shop in Tamil Nadu’s Tirupur hoisery town and fled with gold and diamond jewellery worth around Rs.14 crore, police said Tuesday.
According to police, the burglars had gained entry into the shop, located on the first floor of a complex in the town’s busy Kumaran Salai, using gas cutters and crowbars to cut the iron bars Monday night.
The robbers took away around 40 kg gold and two kg of diamond jewellery valued around Rs.14 crore.
Police have recovered four gas cutters at the spot and suspect the burglars accessed the shop from a school located behind it.
Special teams have been formed by the police to crack the burglary, with police in Tirupur, Coimbatore and Salem districts working in tandem.
Tirupur is around 390 km from Chennai.
- Burglars loot 20 kg gold from jewellery shop - Jun 23, 2011
- Eight held in Delhi, Ghaziabad for Rs.10 crore Chandigarh heist (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- 3 held for burglaries, Rs.15 lakh worth jewellery recovered - Apr 12, 2011
- Two DMK leaders arrested for land grab - Jul 30, 2011
- $8 mn burglary exposes corrupt Chinese official - Dec 22, 2011
- Burglars break through shop wall, loot cash - Mar 31, 2011
- Gold, diamonds worth Rs.5 crore stolen in Ludhiana - Dec 27, 2009
- Jewellery stolen from Hindu temples recovered in Bangladesh - Feb 19, 2011
- India's diamond markets shut over Mumbai terror attack - Jul 14, 2011
- Three held for duping jeweller of Rs.1 crore - Nov 13, 2011
- A Nano car worth Rs.22 crore - Sep 19, 2011
- Three burglars held in Delhi - Jan 29, 2011
- Slip in gold prices an added incentive to buyers this Akshaya Tritiya - May 06, 2011
- Two held in Punjab for illegally carrying jewellery - Dec 12, 2010
- Gold, diamonds worth Rs.50 mn stolen in Ludhiana (Lead) - Dec 27, 2009