Jeweller held for selling sub-standard gemsOctober 15th, 2011 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 14 (IANS) A 50-year-old man was arrested from Rajasthan for duping the wife of HCL Technologies chairman by supplying substandard embedded stones and gems in jewellery he sold to her, police said Friday.
Govind Narayan Johri, resident of Jaipur, was arrested Thursday from his home, said Additional Commissioner of Police Ajay Chaudhry.
Kiran Nadar, wife of HCL chairman Shiv Nadar and a resident of Friends Colony in south Delhi, registered a complaint hat she was being cheated by Johri to the tune of Rs.1.5 crore.
Kiran Nadar told police that Johri in 1999 came and represented himself as a leading jeweller dealing in precious gems, stones and jewels.
“He further said that he was into this business for the last several years and was having various clients from the elite society of Delhi and royal families of Rajasthan,” Kiran Nadar told police.
Johri presented jewellery in a very attractive manner following which she started buying from him in the belief that the precious stones embedded in antique jewellery belonged to erstwhile royal families, police said.
A month ago, she came to know that Johri was in fact dealing in sub-standard jewellery. She got the precious stones and gems checked from gem testing laboratory at Indian Gemological Institute - a government approved institute - here and found these were sub-standard.
- Shara - a royal jewellery collection by Rachna Kapoor (With Images) - May 22, 2011
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- Sotheby's Auction Offers Rare Pink $38M Diamond - Oct 06, 2010
- Hilton sued over borrowed jewellery - Apr 08, 2011
- HCL founder Shiv Nadar to head IIT-Kharagpur's board - Apr 07, 2011
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- Glowing times for online jewellery retailers - Apr 06, 2012
- Yellow 'Sun-Drop' diamond auctioned for $12.36 million - Nov 16, 2011
- Woman who duped six 'husbands' held - Feb 23, 2012
- Want a dazzling smile? Go for dental jewellery! - Sep 07, 2010
- Women arrested for cheating 'husbands' - May 29, 2012
- Jewellers criticise hike in import duty on gold - Mar 16, 2012
- Forget threads and beads - invest in gold, diamond rakhi (Feature) - Aug 12, 2011
- Bank officials, businessmen arrested for fraud - Nov 26, 2010
- Delhi Jal Board officials booked for corruption - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: ajay, antique jewellery, attractive manner, commissioner of police, elite society, friends colony, gem testing, gems stones, govind, hcl technologies, indian gemological institute, last several years, New Delhi, precious gems, precious stones, rajasthan, royal families, rs 1, south delhi, testing laboratory