Jet Airways pilot dies in fire at houseAugust 11th, 2009 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) A 33-year-old pilot of Jet Airways died Tuesday after suffering severe burn injuries in a fire in his east Delhi house, the police said.
Rahul Jain suffered 75 percent burn injuries when his Pandav Nagar house caught fire late Monday.
He was rushed to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital and then to Max Hospital before being admitted to the Safdarjung Hospital, where he succumbed to his burn injuries Tuesday morning.
Police said when fire broke out, Jain was sleeping in one room while his wife Anju and two children - an 11-year-old daughter and a 10-year-old son - were in the next room. They managed to escape with minor burn injuries.
Five fire tenders, which were pressed into service, took hours to douse the flames.
Though the investigation is on, police hinted that the fire may have erupted because of a lighted cigarette butt.
“Jain family said he had a bad habit of not stubbing cigarette completely. We suspect that as the air-conditioner was on and there were papers scattered in the room, the fire must have spread,” said an investigating officer.
His wife told police that Jain went to sleep after his dinner Monday night and she went to see her children who were studying in the next room.
“When she was teaching the children, lights started fluctuating. She went into her husband’s room and saw the smoke all over. She said she tried her best to rescue him, but not before Jain sustained severe burn injuries,” the officer added.
- Technician killed in compressor blast - Apr 06, 2011
- Man commits suicide by jumping before Metro train - Mar 03, 2012
- Step-father arrested for torturing three-year-old - Feb 25, 2012
- Woman sets herself on fire in Delhi - Apr 30, 2012
- Husband, wife commit suicide - Jan 25, 2012
- Drunk man sets family on fire - Apr 27, 2010
- Boy burnt with cigarettes, beaten, clawed by stepfather - Feb 24, 2012
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Man smokes in bed, suffocates to death - Jan 22, 2011
- A ruined home now Ground Zero for crash probe - May 26, 2011
- Six children burnt to death in Bihar - Nov 24, 2011
- Woman, three held for husband's killing - Feb 11, 2012
- Battered Rajasthan boy given security - Feb 26, 2012
- 6 kids, guard injured in Delhi as drum explodes in bonfire - Jan 10, 2011
- Autistic teenager dies as tanning spray sets off fire - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: air conditioner, anju, bad habit, cigarette, east delhi, fire tenders, flames, jai, jain, jet airways, lok, monday night, morning police, nayak, New Delhi, pilot, prakash, safdarjung hospital, sleep, tuesday morning