Jeevan survives close match in Bangalore ITF eventJune 12th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 12 (IANS) Fourth seed Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan survived a tough two-setter to beat a defiant Sidharth Rawat 7-6 (6), 7-5 and moved into the pre-quarter-finals of the $10,000 Toyota ITF Open men’s tennis tournament here Tuesday.
In a match marked by absorbing rallies, neither player gave any quarter to each other and kept up a steady pace while hitting strong ground strokes.
Jeevan made a tentative start in the first set and came under pressure a couple of times, but survived a break point in the fourth and sixth games before holding serve.
The two players held the serve till six-all and the set spilled into a tie-breaker.
Rawat led 4-2 in the before Jeevan made it four-all and then six-all. Jeevan clinched the issue with Rawat hitting wide and later netting a short return.
In the second set, Rawat called the shots early and broke in the second game for a 3-0 lead at which point Jeevan also needed a medical attention for blisters on the right foot.
Trailing 1-4, Jeevan made a valiant effort and kept his consistent returns in and took three games in a row with a break of serve in the seventh for four-all.
Thereafter, it was Jeevan all the way as he broke Rawat again in the 11th game and served out the set for the match.
Jeeven, the 24-year-old from Tamil Nadu who is now based in Germany, said: “I am happy with the victory and Rawat is a tough opponent. I kept the intensity and made him earn every point, but I am still figuring out how to play better in this high altitude condition where balls come off much faster also.”
Meanwhile, second seed Vishnu Vardhan had an easy passage to the second round beating Bharatram Balajee 6-1, 6-2, while the sixth seed and Mysore Open finalist N. Sriram Balaji ousted Elwin Antony 6-3, 7-6(1).
The results (prefix indicates seeding, Indian unless mentioned):
Zach Itzstein (AUS) bt Kenny Bun (CAM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4; Ashwin Vijayragavan bt Gavin Van Peperzeel (AUS) 6-3, 6-4; Ajai Selvaraj bt Vishwanath Savadi 6-2, 6-3; Tejas Chaukulkar bt Manpreet Singh Chawla 6-2, 6-0; 4-Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan bt Sidharth Rawat 7-6 (6), 7-5; 5-Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan bt Kaza Vinayak Sharma 7-5, 6-3; 6-N Sriram Balaji bt Elwin Antony 6-3, 7-6 (1); Venkat Iyer bt Sagar Manjanna 6-3, 6-3; Jatin Dahiya bt Saurabh Patil 6-3, 6-1; 2-Vishnu Vardhan bt Bharatram Balajee 6-1, 6-2.
Doubles (first round): Kunal Anand / Ajai Selvaraj bt Zach Itzstein (AUS) / Francesco Vilardo (ITA) 2-6, 6-2, 10-7; Scott Puodziunas (AUS) / Gavin Van Peperzeel (AUS) bt Shahbaaz Khan / Sumeet Shinde 6-7 (5), 6-4, 10-5.
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF meet - May 28, 2012
- Rawat eliminates Rastogi in ITF tourney - Jun 06, 2012
- Selvaraj knocks out Jeong at ITF meet - Jul 31, 2012
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Easy wins for Vishnu, Sriram in ITF meet - Jun 04, 2012
- Smooth sailing for seeds in Bangalore ITF - Jun 13, 2012
- Wild cards score in ITF Mandya Open - May 29, 2012
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 07, 2011
- Good day for Sudanwa at ITF tourney - Jul 23, 2012
- Malik leads way into last eight of ITF tennis - May 02, 2012
- Malik leads way into last 8 in ITF meet - May 30, 2012
- Sharma puts out Vijayaraghavan in ITF event - Jul 30, 2012
- Close call for Vijay Sundar - Jul 24, 2012
- Thai surprise for Vilardo in ITF meet - Jun 11, 2012
- Myneni, Prasanth in semis of ITF meet - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: antony, blisters, break point, consistent returns, ground strokes, high altitude, medical attention, open men, quarter finals, right foot, second game, sidharth, sixth seed, sriram, steady pace, tennis tournament, three games, tie breaker, valiant effort, vishnu vardhan