JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UPJanuary 27th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 27 (IANS) The Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the Trinamool Congress have not reached any final agreement for the Uttar Pradesh elections, JD-U general secretary Javed Raza said Friday.
“There has been no final electoral accord yet between the two parties, though senior Trinamool leaders had met our party chief Sharad Yadav,” Raza told IANS over phone from Goa.
He said that JD-U has already announced candidates for 300 seats of the 403 constituencies in Uttar Pradesh. “Sharad Yadav is currently in UP on election campaign,” he added. The Trinamool has announced 37 candidates.
Trinamool is the second largest party in the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and its chief, Mamata Banerjee, heads the West Bengal government, in which the Congress is a partner.
JD-U is the second largest party in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA). Its leader Nitish Kumar heads the Bihar government, in which the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is a partner.
With union ministers from the Trinamool — Sultan Ahmed and Mukul Roy — holding a meeting with Yadav and other JD-U top leaders in Delhi recently, there was speculation about a poll alliance in Uttar Pradesh between the two parties from the rival camps at the national level.
Raza said the JD-U will announce 10-15 candidates for the Goa assembly polls Saturday. Goa, which goes to the polls March 3, has 40 assembly constituencies.
- JD-U to go solo in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 05, 2012
- Sharad Yadav seeks action against 'paid news' in Bihar - Oct 05, 2010
- JD-U leader supports Mukherjee - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress alleges BJP-CPI-M pact in Kerala - Apr 10, 2011
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Congress seeking friends, not votes in Uttar Pradesh: Jaitley - Jan 15, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP, JD-U set for divorce in Uttar Pradesh? - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: assembly constituencies, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, bihar government, bjp, goa assembly, javed, mamata banerjee, mukul, national democratic alliance, party chief, poll alliance, progressive alliance, rival camps, sharad yadav, sultan ahmed, trinamool congress, union ministers, uttar pradesh elections, west bengal government