JCT in Durand semi-finals, Sporting Goa on courseAugust 30th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) JCT are through to the semi-finals of the Durand Cup with a 3-1 victory over Tata Football Academy while Sporting Clube de Goa stayed on course by beating Air-India by a late solitary goal. Balwant Singh (20th), Eduardo Da Silva Escobar (50th) and Baldeep Singh (66th) scored for JCT while Niroshon Mani struck the only goal for the academy team at the Ambedkar Stadium Saturday.
For Sporting Clube de Goa, substitute Anthony D’Souza struck four minutes from the end.
It was TFA who scored first to push JCT on to the back-foot, but the Phagwara team equalised the very next minute and then their class prevailed as they scored twice more.
The TFA goal came in the 19th minute as Mani took advantage of a defensive lapse and shot past goalkeeper Karanjit Singh off a flag-kick.
JCT equaliser was a header from forward Balwant Singh, who was set-up cleverly by Brazilian Eduardo Da Silva Escobar and Jagpreet Singh.
Then on JCT pounded the TFA defence with Escobar and Balwant making good moves. Their persistence paid-off five minutes after the breather when Escobar’s stinging left-footer foxed TFA goalkeeper Jagroop Singh.
It was a much improved performance by JCT and the midfield did well to keep the strikers busy. Baldeep and Baljit Sahni combined well to put the forwards through.
Escobar made full use of the deft passes and came close to score his second goal, but his sliding right-footer skimmed the far post and went out.
The third goal came from a goalmouth melee and Baldeep sneaked in score.
A visibly happy JCT coach Sukhinder Singh said: “The team is winning despite not having played much competitive footbal for long. I have no complains.”
The coach also felt that the Durand Cup would be a good warm-up for the I-League, starting Sep 26.
“This tournament is very important for us. We didn’t get much practice for this tournament and if we do well here the boys will gain confidence ahead of the I-League,” he added.
Later in the day, Air-India and Sporting Clube de Goa played out a dull goalless first half. The only chance of the session came the Goan team’s way and Lavino Fernandes missed it.
After the change of ends, both sides looked more intent on scoring and D’Souza found the goal for the Goans.
- Durand Cup: JCT beat Sporting Clube; Air India held by TFA(Superseding earlier story) - Aug 28, 2008
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- Thoudam's hat-trick takes Sporting Goa into Durand semis - Sep 01, 2008
- One man short Sporting Clube finish 2-2 with Prayag United - Jan 28, 2012
- I-League: Sporting beat Air India 2-0 - Apr 06, 2012
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
- Sporting Clube thrash Mumbai FC 5-0 in I-League - Jan 23, 2012
- Tolgay star of East Bengal win, JCT oust Sporting - Oct 30, 2010
- Silva's hat-trick in Chirag United 5-0 win over IAF - Nov 02, 2010
- Sporting Clube beat Salgaocar 4-2 in I-League - Nov 05, 2011
- JCT hold Churchill Brothers in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- Sporting Clube register a memorable win against Pune - Feb 01, 2012
- Mohun Bagan, Mumbai FC win (Roundup) - Oct 24, 2011
- Durand Cup: Garhwal Heroes shock Sporting; Salgaocar beat Air India - Oct 28, 2010
- Sporting Clube beat Lajong 1-0 - Mar 31, 2012