Jayawardene confident of Sri Lanka chances against PakistanFebruary 20th, 2009 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 20 (IANS) Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene was confident of his team’s chances against Pakistan in the first cricket Test beginning here at the National Stadium from Saturday.
Jayawardene, who has decided to step down as captain after the two-match series against Pakistan, said that Sri Lanka will try to maintain its good Test form and will go all out to win its first Test series in Pakistan.
“We’ve been doing really well in Tests in recent times and hopefully we will continue doing that in this series,” said Jayawardene whose side has not lost a Test series since its 0-2 defeat against Australia in 2007. Since then Sri Lanka has beaten England at home, drawn against the West Indies in the Caribbean, beaten India at home and Bangladesh in an away tour.
The experienced middle-order batsman said that he is expecting a tough fight from Pakistan.
“Both sides have some exceptional cricketers and I believe it is going to be a good and tough series,” said the 31-year-old Jayawardene, who needs 41 more runs to reach the 8,000-run mark in Tests.
He was not concerned over the fact that Sri Lanka has played almost non-stop cricket in recent months. “We’ve mostly played one-day cricket in recent weeks and fortunately our Test side is quite different which means we have four or five players who are completely fresh for this series,” he said.
Jayawardene said that he would like to bow out as Sri Lanka captain by winning the Test series against Pakistan.
- Matthews fails fitnes test, dropped from Sri Lanka squad - Mar 23, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to resume ODI rivalry - Jul 20, 2012
- KP, Jayawardene will boost Daredevils: Sehwag - Apr 09, 2012
- Jayawardene eying breakthrough ODI series win against Australia - Oct 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka leave out Samaraweera of Pakistan series - Sep 21, 2011
- Would like to make life easy for Sehwag: Jayawardene - Apr 09, 2012
- India have to prove they are world's top Test team: Botham - May 26, 2011
- Batting holds the key for Australia, says Jayawardene - Oct 30, 2010
- Dhoni relieved after India's first ODI win overseas since June - Feb 08, 2012
- Asia Cup: Eranga replaces Matthews in Sri Lanka squad - Mar 14, 2012
- Asia Cup: India looking to make a fresh start against Sri Lanka - Mar 12, 2012
- Jayawardene to take legal action against Lanka channel for fixing claims - Mar 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka cannot take Canada lightly (Preview) - Feb 19, 2011
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- Sri Lanka will be tough to beat in Tests, says Pakistan coach - Feb 06, 2009