Jayalalithaa’s remark contempt of court: ChidambaramJune 14th, 2011 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) Home Minister P. Chidambaram Tuesday hit back at Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, saying her remarks on an alleged voting fraud questioning his election to the Lok Sabha amounted to contempt of court.
“I have learnt that she has made a statement questioning my election to the Lok Sabha in 2009. She knows that her candidate Raja Kannappan has filed an election petition in the Madras High Court which is pending since September 2009. Her statement is, therefore, gross contempt of court,” Chidambaram said in a statement.
At a press conference in the capital, Jayalalithaa alleged that the data entry operator in the Sivaganga Lok Sabha constituency in Tamil Nadu transferred votes secured by AIADMK candidate Raja Kannappan to Chidambaram’s credit in the 2009 general elections.
“This is how this fraudulent victory was secured,” she said, adding, “He (Chidambaram) should resign.”
The chief minister said her party candidate had filed a case in the Supreme Court challenging Chidambaram’s election. According to official records, Chidambaram defeated his AIADMK opponent by 3,354 votes.
- War of words breaks out between Chidambaram and Jayalalithaa (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Chidambaram never won election, must quit: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Congress declines comment on Jaya's charge against Chidambaram - Jun 15, 2011
- Court rejects Chidambaram's plea - Aug 04, 2011
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chidambaram hit by court ruling, opposition wants him out (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Blazing a trail, Jayalalithaa fires salvo at Chidambaram, Maran (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa springs surprise, attacks Chidambaram (Intro Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Counting agents should monitor data entry operators: Jayalalithaa - May 11, 2011
- 2G: Jayalalithaa welcomes apex court ruling - Feb 02, 2012
- Chidambaram need not resign, says Karunanidhi - Jun 09, 2012
- Sack Chidambaram, says BJP's Joshi (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Breather perhaps, but Chidambaram still in trouble - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress rebuffs BJP's demand for Chidambaram's ouster - Jun 07, 2012
- Throw Chidambaram out of cabinet, BJP tells PM - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: chief minister, contempt of court, data entry operator, election petition, fraud, general elections, home minister, j jayalalithaa, june 14, Lok Sabha, madras high court, New Delhi, opponent, p chidambaram, party candidate, sabha constituency, sivaganga, supreme court, tamil nadu, victory