Jayalalithaa to be sworn in chief minister MondayMay 15th, 2011 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 15 (IANS) AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa Sunday met Tamil Nadu Governor Surjit Singh Barnala to stake her claim to form the government in the state for a third time. She will be sworn in as chief minister Monday afternoon.
According to officials, the swearing-in will be held at Madras University’s Centenary Hall here.
Talking to reporters, Jayalalithaa said: “There are several challenges before the new government. We have to put the economy back on rails, take Tamil Nadu on the path of prosperity and growth. The focus is to bring down the prices, end power cuts and improve law and order.”
She said all parties will be invited for the swearing-in ceremony.
Jayalalithaa termed the latest round of hike in the petrol prices as “unfortunate”.
Earlier, Jayalalithaa was unanimously elected as the leader of AIADMK legislature party by the party’s newly elected legislators.
The AIADMK-led front bagged 203 seats in the 234-member house and gave a crushing defeat to the DMK front that won 31 seats.
- Jayalalithaa sworn-in Tamil Nadu chief minister (Third Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sworn in as Tamil Nadu chief minister (Second Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa takes oath as Tamil Nadu chief minister (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa to stake claim Sunday to form government (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi congratulates Jayalalithaa on massive win (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Jayalalithaa to stake claim to form government Sunday (Second Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Night Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- After win, AIADMK legislators to meet in Chennai (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- After win, AIADMK legislators to meet in Chennai (Second Lead correcting figure in para 1 and 6) - May 14, 2011
- AIADMK wave sinks DMK in Tamil Nadu (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- After win, AIADMK legislators to meet in Chennai - May 14, 2011
- TV journalist is AIADMK Rajya Sabha candidate - Jun 30, 2011
- Congress slams Modi's presence at Jayalalithaa's swearing-in - May 17, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Rajya Sabha bypoll on July 22 - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: aiadmk chief, centenary hall, challenges, chennai, chief minister, economy, j jayalalithaa, law and order, legislators, madras university, monday afternoon, path of prosperity, petrol prices, surjit singh, swearing in ceremony, tamil nadu, third time