Jayalalithaa confident of AIADMK victory in civic pollsOctober 17th, 2011 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 17 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa of the AIADMK Monday expressed confidence that people would vote for her party in the two-phase civic polls that got underway in the state Monday.
Speaking to reporters here after casting her vote, Jayalalithaa said: “After the people voted us to power with overwhelming majority, we have restored law and order, initiated welfare schemes and fulfilled our promises to the people. We are confident of support.”
Polling began at 7 a.m. Monday.
Voting is peaceful, with people queuing at booths in the morning itself. In some places complaints of names missing in the voters list and glitches in the functioning of electronic voting machines surfaced.
Nearly six months after the assembly elections, Tamil Nadu is witnessing another battle of the ballot with an electorate of around 4.63 crore set to vote in the local body polls Monday and Wednesday.
The voters will elect around 112,000 representatives from around 411,000 candidates.
The entire polling process in state capital Chennai and in sensitive polling booths across the state will be recorded on camera.
Counting of votes takes place Oct 21.
According to police officials, around 80,000 personnel are being deployed for security.
While the April assembly elections were fought under alliances led by ruling AIADMK and DMK, this time round the major parties — AIADMK, DMK, Congress, PMK — are going it alone.
The DMDK has joined hands with the communist parties.
- Tamil Nadu civic polls: Second phase ends - Oct 20, 2011
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu civic polls - Oct 22, 2011
- Tamil Nadu civic polls: First phase ends - Oct 17, 2011
- Norms being flouted in Tamil Nadu civic polls: DMK - Oct 17, 2011
- Polling in Pudukottai ends, 65 percent turnout recorded (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- 73 percent polling in Tamil Nadu's Pudukottai by-poll (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Brisk voting in Pudukottai by-poll in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- Voting begins in Pudukottai assembly by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- Polling under way in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Around 75 percent voting in Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- AIADMK wins Sankarankoil by-election (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- AIADMK wins Sankarankoil by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Dravidian land all set for battle for power (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 11, 2011
- 70 million hold key in three states Wednesday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 12, 2011