Jayalalitha told to approach government for more securityJuly 9th, 2008 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 9 (IANS) The Madras High Court wednesday asked Leader of Opposition and AIADMK supremo J. Jayalalitha to apply to the state government for extra police protection instead of seeking judicial intervention. Judge M. Jaichandren, hearing a plea by Jayalalitha’s lawyer Navaneetha Krishnan for extra security for the former chief minister at her summer retreat in the Nilgiris, 600 km southwest of here, said the politician should bring the matter to the notice of the government officially.
Krishnan told the court Jayalalitha faced aggravated threat perceptions against her life in the Kodanadu Estate, where she is currently staying, and an officer of the rank of a superintendent of police ought to be posted permanently for her protection.
Appearing on behalf of the government, Advocate General G. Masilamani argued that the state police was according protection to Jayalalitha as per the requirements of her Z-Plus security category.
The Tamil Nadu government had sought the court’s intervention to allow the use of a public pathway through the estate earlier. It had also sought to demolish part of the estate, alleging violation of rules.
- Jayalalitha again deposes in illegal assets case - Nov 22, 2011
- DMK's top brass face land grab charge - Dec 02, 2011
- Uniform syllabus cannot be used this year: Expert panel - Jul 06, 2011
- Judicial activism shouldn't erode constitutional principles: President (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Raja Bhaiya dents Akhilesh's clean credentials - Mar 15, 2012
- Implement uniform school syllabus: Madras High Court - Jul 18, 2011
- Judicial activism shouldn't erode constitutional principles: President - Sep 08, 2012
- Sasikala's brother arrested in Tamil Nadu - Feb 03, 2012
- Court asks government to explain 'lapse' in Jayalalitha's security - Oct 31, 2008
- Modi's fast: BJP top brass to attend; Modi condemns communalism - Sep 17, 2011
- Mulayam, Akhilesh get Z-plus security cover - Apr 12, 2012
- Issue orders to check khap panchayats, SC urged - Jul 16, 2012
- Inspection of Jayalalitha's estate illegal: court - May 01, 2008
- Black Cats to protect Jayalalithaa during Madurai demonstration - Oct 16, 2010
- Verdict on uniform school syllabus in Tamil Nadu welcomed - Aug 09, 2011