Jaya Jaitley allowed to retain passportJuly 12th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) A special court Thursday allowed Samata Party leader Jaya Jaitley, who is facing trial in a corruption case linked to a purported defence deal, to retain her passport.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Kanwaljeet Arora allowed Jaitley’s plea that she needed her passport every now and then for attending meetings and discussions abroad.
“I am of the opinion that no prejudice is going to be caused to the case if the passport taken into possession by the CBI is released to be kept with the accused (Jaitley),” said Judge Arora.
Jaitley is facing trial for allegedly taking Rs.2 lakh as bribe in December 2000 for recommending a fictitious defence deal to the defence ministry.
The case stems out of a sting operation, “Operation Westend”, aired by news portal Tehelka.com in January 2001.
The CBI alleged that Jaitley, her former party colleague Gopal Pacherwal and Maj. Gen. (retd) S.P. Murgai accepted illegal gratification from Mathew Samuel, who posed as a representative of Westend International Co, for obtaining orders to supply the army hand-held thermal imagers.
The CBI filed the chargesheet against Jaitley and two others in 2006.
- Jaitley moves court to retain passport - Jul 02, 2012
- Court notice to CBI on Jaya Jaitly's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Court begins trial against Jaya Jaitley in defence deal - Apr 20, 2012
- Court allows Jaya Jaitley to visit Singapore - May 01, 2012
- Jaya Jaitley to stand trial in 'defence deal' case (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Court frames charges against Jaya Jaitley in 'defence deal' - Mar 05, 2012
- Cut surety amount, Jaya Jaitly tells court (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- High Court reduces Jaya Jaitley's surety amount - May 14, 2012
- Court notice to CBI on Jaya Jaitley plea - May 11, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court decision in Bangaru Laxman graft case Friday - Apr 26, 2012
- Court decision April 27 on Bangaru Laxman graft case - Apr 22, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman gets four years' jail for bribery (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for taking bribe (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: bribe, cbi, central bureau of investigation, colleague, corruption case, defence ministry, gratification, international co, kanwaljeet, lakh, mathew, New Delhi, party leader, passport, plea, possession, prejudice, rs 2, special judge, sting operation