Japanese encephalitis kills 68 kids in GayaOctober 17th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 17 (IANS) With six more deaths, Japanese encephalitis, a brain infection, has killed 68 children in Bihar’s Gaya district in the last 50 days, an official said Monday.
Six more children died in the last three days at the Anugrah Narayan Medical College and Hospital (ANMCH), about 100 km from here, hospital deputy superintendent N.K. Paswan said.
“About 50 children are still battling for life in the hospital,” he said.
Most children belong to Mahadalit families — the poorest of the poor in the state.
A three-member team of doctors from New Delhi visited the hospital Sunday and discussed the measures taken to check the spread of the disease, district civil surgeon Dilip Kumar said.
The first encephalitis-related death in the district was reported Aug 23.
Encephalitis is an acute inflammation of the brain resulting either from a viral infection or when the body’s own immune system mistakenly attacks brain tissue.
The children reported high fever, followed by bouts of unconsciousness and convulsions.
According to ANMCH paediatrics head A.K. Ravi, most of the children who died were from rural areas of Gaya and neighbouring districts.
He said more than till date 306 children with suspected encephalitis have been admitted for treatment.
Suspected encephalitis in Gaya killed 46 children in 2009, 49 in 2008 and 29 in 2007, a district official said.
- Cold wave in Bihar ends encephalitis epidemic - Dec 27, 2011
- Two more kids die of encephalitis in Bihar, toll 85 - Nov 17, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 3 kids in Bihar, toll at 92 - Dec 08, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 8 more kids in Bihar - Oct 13, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills five children - Sep 20, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected brain disease kills 54 children - Oct 03, 2011
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills five in Bihar - Sep 10, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected encephalitis kills six more - Sep 14, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 15 kids in Bihar - Jun 02, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Encephalitis toll rises to 18 - Jun 04, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: acute inflammation, anugrah, bouts, brain infection, brain tissue, civil surgeon, convulsions, deputy superintendent, dilip kumar, gaya district, high fever, inflammation of the brain, japanese encephalitis, medical college, member team, neighbouring districts, paswan, patna, unconsciousness, viral infection