Japanese Encephalitis: Azad visits GorakhpurOctober 20th, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 20 (IANS) Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad Thursday visited the Japanese Encephalitis affected areas of Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
The disease has claimed more than 450 lives in the state.
Azad, along with Kushinagar MP R.P.N. Singh, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh and health ministry officials visited the area and held meetings with state health officials.
The health minister visited the BRD Medical College Hospital in the area where nearly 300 patients of Japanese Encephalitis are currently admitted.
Talking to reporters later, he said he will assess the situation in Gorakhpur and adjoining districts during his two-day stay and will decide on central assistance to curb the menace.
“The officials of my ministry and scientists from ICMR have visited BRD MCH several times during last two years, whenever the local MPs and representatives raised the issue in Delhi. I will visit the rural areas tomorrow,” Azad said.
According to state health officials, with three more deaths, the total number of deaths due to Japanese Encephalitis Friday reached 474 this year.
Uttar Pradesh Congress spokesperson Akhilesh Prasad Singh said party general secretary Rahul Gandhi requested Azad to visit the eastern Uttar Pradesh area, around 260 km from Lucknow, after reports of hundreds of lives having been lost due to the killer virus.
Over 3,000 children have died of the viral disease since 2006 in the state.
Chief minister Mayawati Wednesday convened a meeting to take stock of the situation.
- GoM on Japanese encephalitis to meet soon: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Encephalitis scare in UP after 88 deaths - Jun 16, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh battles viruses, over 200 dead - Sep 10, 2010
- GoM on encephalitis has to deliver: Child rights panel - Nov 06, 2011
- Japanese Encephalitis cases on decline - Oct 24, 2011
- Bill Gates-Akhilesh to sign MoU on health - May 30, 2012
- Homeopathy, fish to take on encephalitis in UP? - Jun 30, 2012
- Vaccination drive to combat Japanese Encephalitis begins in UP - Jun 14, 2010
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Three more kids die of Japanese encephalitis, toll 332 - Sep 26, 2011
- UP to develop districts adjoining Nepal border - Jul 20, 2012
- Communicable diseases a major health challenge: Minister - Dec 21, 2011
- Work on Rae Bareli AIIMS to begin soon: Azad - Aug 09, 2012
- New strategy to control encephalitis in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Dec 14, 2009
Tags: central assistance, chief minister, digvijay singh, general secretary, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, health ministry officials, icmr, japanese encephalitis, killer virus, Mayawati, medical college hospital, prasad, rahul gandhi, rural areas, spokesperson, state chief, state health officials, uttar pradesh, viral disease