Japan prepares to intercept North Korean rocketMarch 30th, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, March 30 (IANS) Japanese Defence Minister Naoki Tanaka ordered the Self-Defense Forces (SDF) Friday to intercept a North Korean rocket launch, if necessary.
The minister issued the order after telling SDF Tuesday to take preparatory measures against the North Korean rocket launch which Japan and other countries see as a cover for a long-range ballistic missile test, Xinhua reported.
According to local news reports, the order, which readies the SDF’s missile shield against the rocket or its debris, was given after the defence minister and other cabinet members confirmed their policy during a meeting of the country’s Security Council presided over by Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.
Japan’s Ground Self-Defense Force will deploy its helicopter rescue personnel, who are trained to handle disasters, to areas where the rocket may veer off course and fly over them, said local media.
North Korea announced earlier it would launch an “earth observation” satellite, or the Kwangmyongsong-3, using a long-range rocket to mark its late leader Kim Il-Sung’s 100th birthday.
It is scheduled to be launched from a station in North Phyongan province between April 12 and 16.
- 'Japan can crash North Korea satellite if needed' - Mar 18, 2012
- Japan warns of crashing down North Korean satellite - Mar 18, 2012
- Japan to deploy interceptors to counter North Korean launch - Mar 20, 2012
- Japan on alert ahead of North Korea satellite launch - Mar 27, 2012
- Japan resolution against North Korea's rocket launch - Apr 12, 2012
- North Korea launches rocket: US - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- China, Japan, South Korea warn North Korea over n-tests (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Pentagon urges North Korea to give up missile launch (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- `North Koreans to try next missile launch in 2-3 years' - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea to launch satellite (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: 100th birthday, cabinet members, defence minister, earth observation satellite, helicopter rescue, kim il sung, late leader, local media, missile shield, missile test, naoki, noda, north korea, preparatory measures, range ballistic missile, rocket launch, sdf, self defense, tokyo march, xinhua