Japan issues tsunami alter after 6.8-magnitude quakeAugust 19th, 2011 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Aug 19 (IANS) Japan Friday issued a tsunami alert after a 6.8-magnitude undersea quake struck off the country’s northeastern Honshu island, Xinhua reported.
The tremor occurred around 2.30 p.m., triggering a tsunami advisory for Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures of the Hondu island.
The quake caused a high-speed train in the region to suspend service and expressways to be closed.
No abnormalities were noticed at the Fukushima nuclear plant on the island, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.
The prefectures suffered massive damage in a quake and tsunami in March, triggering a nuclear crisis in Fukushima.
Earlier on Friday, another quake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale jolted the Fiji Islands in south Pacific but there was no immediate report of damage or casualty.
The tremor occurred at 0354 GMT with the epicentre 16.5 degrees south latitude and 176.7 degrees west longitude, the Hong Kong Observatory said.
- Japan issues tsunami alert after 7.4-magnitude quake (Second Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Moderate quake hits Japan - Apr 02, 2012
- Tsunami alert issued after 7.4-magnitude quake rattles Japan (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- 6-magnitude quake off Japan's Honshu island - Mar 13, 2011
- 6 magnitude quake jolts Japan - Mar 15, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan quake toll may cross 10,000, no nuclear meltdown (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- 6.4 Earthquake hits off Japan's east coast - Jun 18, 2012
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Japan faces nuclear fallout, quake toll may be 10,000 (Intro Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake hits Japan - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: electric power co, expressways, fiji islands, high speed train, hondu, hong kong observatory, honshu island, magnitude quake, massive damage, miyagi, northeastern honshu, nuclear crisis, nuclear plant, prefectures, richter scale, south latitude, tokyo electric, tsunami alert, west longitude, xinhua