Japan issues tsunami alert after 7.4-magnitude quake (Second Lead)April 7th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, April 7 (IANS) A tsunami alert alert was issued after a 7.4-magnitude undersea quake jolted the Miyagi prefecture in northeastern Japan late Thursday. There was no immediate word of damage or casualties, Xinhua reported.
The quake occurred at 23.32 p.m. Thursday, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency. It issued a tsunami alert after the quake. The epicentre was located 40 km under the sea.
The tremor was also felt in Tokyo.
The quake has not caused any major problems at the nuclear power plants in nearby Fukushima prefecture, the Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.
The US Geological Survey said the quake occurred at 38 degrees north latitude and 142 degrees east longitude.
The region has been devastated by a 9-magnitude quake March 11 followed by a tsunami that left thousands of people dead and missing and crippled a nuclear plant.
- Japan issues tsunami alter after 6.8-magnitude quake - Aug 19, 2011
- Tsunami alert issued after 7.4-magnitude quake rattles Japan (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- 6.4 Earthquake hits off Japan's east coast - Jun 18, 2012
- Moderate quake hits Japan - Apr 02, 2012
- Tsunami warning lifted in quake-hit Japan (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Japan seabed shifted 24 metres after quake - Apr 07, 2011
- Japan quake toll may cross 10,000, no nuclear meltdown (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
- Japan faces nuclear fallout, quake toll may be 10,000 (Intro Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
- 7.4-magnitude quake jolts Japan - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: casualties, east longitude, electric power co, epicentre, fukushima prefecture, japan meteorological agency, magnitude quake, march 11, miyagi prefecture, north latitude, northeastern japan, nuclear plant, nuclear power plants, tokyo electric, tremor, tsunami, tsunami alert, us geological survey, xinhua