Japan hangs four inmatesApril 10th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by admin
Tokyo, April 10 (DPA) Four inmates were executed Thursday in Japan, Justice Minister Kunio Hatoyama said, bringing the number of death penalties carried out there since December to 10. The convicted murderers, aged 41 to 64, were hanged at prisons in Tokyo and Osaka, Hatoyama said.
The series of multiple executions over the past four months has been the biggest cluster to be carried out since Japan resumed executions in 1993.
The reason for the increase has been a rise in the number of death sentences, Japanese media reported.
Hatoyama, who must personally approve each execution, said he was only carrying out his duty.
He had paid attention to the interval between executions as little as he had the number of condemned men and would continue to do so, Hatoyama was quoted as saying by the Jiji Press news agency.
The human rights group Amnesty International criticised the executions, noting that executions in Japan were picking up amid a worldwide trend toward the abolition of the death penalty.
Japan, where another 104 prisoners sit on death row, is one of the few industrialised countries that still carry out executions.
Human rights organizations have criticised the practice and the secrecy surrounding the death penalty in Japan for years. Relatives only learn of the executions after they are carried out, and the inmates themselves are informed the morning of the executions, a few hours before their deaths.
- China, US among top countries when it comes to execution of prisoners - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan executes two murderers - Jul 28, 2010
- Death penalty used as political weapon: Amnesty - Mar 30, 2010
- Abolish death penalty, say rights groups - Sep 05, 2011
- Italy wants an end to capital punishment - Oct 11, 2011
- Two hanged in Iran - Oct 25, 2011
- India closer to death penalty freeze: Amnesty (Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Mercy plea rejected, Assam killer set to be hanged - May 29, 2011
- Release bombers' bodies: Amnesty urges Belarus - Mar 21, 2012
- Belarus to abolish death penalty after US: President - Dec 24, 2011
- Japan carries out four death sentences - Jan 29, 2009
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Assam hunts for hangman - Jun 02, 2011
- Iraq executes five over terrorism - Aug 29, 2012
- Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012