Jamshedpur residents blame Telco for gas leakage

May 28th, 2008 - 3:37 pm ICT by admin  


Ranchi, May 28 (IANS) The residents of Jharkhand’s Jamshedpur town Wednesday blamed the management of the Telco plant, run by the Tata Group, for the leakage of chlorine gas from its water purifying plant, which led to the hospitalisation of about 150 people with breathing problems. The gas started leaking from the plant at about 11 a.m. Tuesday. By evening, residents started having respiratory problems and vomiting since the density of the gas had increased.

R.K. Agrawal, deputy police commissioner of Jamshedpur, said: “The chlorine gas leaked from the abandoned tank. Nearly 100 people complained about respiratory problems. They have been admitted to the hospital. Some people have been kept on oxygen.”

“The Telco management is solely responsible for the gas leakage. The leakage began in the morning and the management could have controlled it but they neglected it,” said Aneeta Devi, a resident of the Telco area of Jamshedpur.

Telco has, however, refuted the allegation.

“We came to know about the gas leakage at 11 a.m. itself. We were pouring water on the cylinder to neutralize the leakage. Chlorine is neutralized by the use of water. When the gas was not neutralized, we dumped the cylinder in a back wash pond at the suggestion of experts,” a Telco spokesperson said.

“Now only 24 people are in the hospital and most of them will be discharged today,” he added.

Chief Minister Madhu Koda visited Jamshedpur Wednesday and met the people admitted in the hospital. Former chief minister Arjun Munda also rushed to Jamshedpur Tuesday night.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe