Jammu students demand setting up of Central UniversityJuly 22nd, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 22 (IANS) Hundreds of students gathered here Friday to demand that a Central University, sanctioned more than two years ago, be set up in Jammu. The students were assaulted with canes by the state police to disperse the rally.
The students tried to take out a procession to press their demand for early setting up of the university in Jammu and appointment of the vice chancellor, but were stopped by the police.
The students alleged that police cane charged them, and beat them mercilessly.
Though the Central University for Jammu was sanctioned more than two years ago, it has not been set up because the union human resource ministry has not appointed a vice chancellor, and the one who was appointed declined to join citing personal reasons.
“The police beat us like anything. They used lathis brutally,” said Pushpinder Singh, one of the student leaders.
According to him, several students were injured in the police cane charge.
Prof. Amitabh Mattoo, a former vice chancellor of Jammu University, was appointed the first vice chancellor of the Central University, Jammu, in December last year. However, a group of Jammu political parties opposed his appointment.
Mattoo, a strategic affairs expert, declined to assume the charge and instead opted for an assignment in Australia.
Now, Jammu groups have started demanding that anyone may be appointed vice chancellor, not necessarily a native of Jammu, but the university should be made functional at the earliest.
- Jammu university vice chancellor to be appointed soon - Jul 26, 2011
- Delay in Jammu varsity chief's appointment rocks assembly - Mar 11, 2011
- Protests in Jammu for central varsity - Jul 30, 2011
- Amitabh Mattoo welcome back to Kashmir, tweets Omar - Jun 27, 2011
- Finally, Jammu varsity to get first vice chancellor - Aug 04, 2011
- Bloeria Jammu central varsity vice-chancellor - Aug 05, 2011
- Vice chancellor issue rocks Jammu and Kashmir assembly - Mar 15, 2011
- BJP workers, police clash at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- AMU lodges FIR against 27 for using unfair means - Jul 14, 2012
- Meghalaya students hold candle light march - Nov 02, 2010
- Students strike cripples varsity in Meghalaya - Nov 01, 2010
- Vice chancellor, officials confined in office overnight in Bengal - Apr 26, 2012
- Amid protests, Rai takes charge as NEHU vice chancellor - Oct 11, 2010
- Police baton charge students in Srinagar - Jun 13, 2010
- Police use force to end Visva-Bharati chief's confinement - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: amitabh, appointment, australia, canes, human resource, jammu university, personal reasons, political parties, procession, rally, resource ministry, state police, student leaders, vice chancellor