Jammu observes shutdown against police actionMarch 17th, 2012 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 17 (IANS) Jammu observed a complete shutdown Saturday on a call given by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and supported by traders and the BJP to protest police action on protesters during the March 7 clashes in Rajouri town.
The March 7 Hindu-Muslim clashes, in which many people were injured including some policemen, forced authorities to impose curfew on Rajouri town, about 160 km northwest of Jammu.
The shutdown call in Jammu is supported by about a dozen traders’ bodies and social organizations and also the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). All shops, business establishments were shut and thin attendance was reported in offices and educational institutions.
The state BJP chief Shamsher Singh Manhas told reporters: “The bandh is spontaneous and complete. We want peace to return to Rajouri and action taken against those responsible for beating Hindus and ransacking their houses.”
A group of ministers along with senior civil and police officials are in Rajouri to tackle the situation.
Tension began in Rajouri last week following remarks of VHP leader Praveen Togadia on March 5, which were interpreted as “anti-Muslim” by the community leaders and they took out protest marches. Hindus took out counter protests on March 7. Matters worsened that evening when a local religious procession of Hindus was stoned, which led to clashes between the two communities.
- People clash with police, dozen injured in Kashmir town - Mar 15, 2012
- Curfew continues in Rajouri town, 20 arrested - Mar 09, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Rajouri town - Mar 08, 2012
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- Jammu shuts down against fuel price hike - May 31, 2012
- Shut down cripples life in Jammu - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown affects normal life in Assam - Aug 27, 2012
- BJP launches protest against Omar for accession remark - Nov 02, 2010
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- A serious look at communal intolerance in India (IANS Book Review) - May 28, 2010
- VHP threatens retaliation if Gita is banned - Dec 20, 2011
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- BJP to protest if Afzal Guru not hanged - Sep 07, 2011
- Complete shutdown in Jammu against Omar's accession remark - Nov 08, 2010
- BJP should take back Joshi, says Togadia - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: 7 hindu, bandh, bharatiya janata party, bjp, business establishments, clashes, community leaders, educational institutions, hindus, manhas, march 17, police action, police officials, policemen, protest marches, protesters, religious procession, shamsher singh, social organizations, vishwa hindu parishad