Jammu bar association observes strikeDecember 20th, 2011 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 20 (IANS) The Bar Association of Jammu called a general strike here Tuesday to demand the rollback of the Jammu and Kashmir government’s decision to transfer land and property registration from the judiciary to the executive.
The bar association’s call is supported by over a dozen business and social organisations in Jammu who are opposed to the transfer of registration powers to revenue department officials who are also executive magistrates of the area.
Jagar Mal Gupta, who owns a general merchandise shop in the posh Gandhi Nagar locality, will keep his shop closed Tuesday in support of the lawyers’ demand.
“I feel that powers of registration should be with the judiciary as the common man will otherwise be burdened with greasing the palms of revenue officials who are corrupt from top to bottom,” Jagar observed.
Most shops, business establishments and commuter vehicles did not operate in the morning.
The government’s logic behind the decision is that it will increase the “direct revenue of the government through stamp paper duty and also, the records of lands and properties are with revenue department, which will make things easier for common man”.
Lawyers feel that besides many of them losing business due to the move, the common man will be “harassed by corrupt revenue officials”.
Bar Association president B.S. Salathia said: “We will take our protest to a logical conclusion.”
- Lawyers' strike affects life in Jammu (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Protests in Jammu over Anna detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Protests in Jammu for central varsity - Jul 30, 2011
- Kashmir lawyers boycott courts, seek AFSPA revocation - Dec 01, 2011
- Where does a victim of corruption go for redressal, ask citizens - Aug 16, 2011
- Reality sector resents black money accusations - May 29, 2012
- Delhi High Court stays court fee hike - Aug 09, 2012
- Industries sagging in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 09, 2012
- Tea Board simplifies registration for Assam's small growers - Mar 21, 2012
- Chinese daily calls for sustained anti-graft efforts - Apr 11, 2012
- Mamata defends her remarks on judiciary (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Court orders booking 19 Andhra officials on land deal - Sep 07, 2010
- New tax on domestic LPG in Maharashtra rolled back - Mar 30, 2012
- How much do the corrupt earn? (To go with: Corruption has 'taken over India' but can be eliminated: Book) - Dec 09, 2011
- Constitutional powers should not be exceeded: Manmohan Singh - May 08, 2010
Tags: association president, business establishments, common man, commuter vehicles, department officials, gandhi nagar, general merchandise, gupta, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, logical conclusion, magistrates, merchandise shop, property registration, revenue officials, rollback, social organisations, stamp paper, transfer of registration