Jammu and Kashmir suffers Rs.50 bn loss: AssochamAugust 23rd, 2008 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) The current bout of unrest in Jammu and Kashmir has cost the industry Rs.50 billion ($1.16 billion) in the past two months, a leading industry chamber said here Saturday.”The social and political unrest, completely disrupting industrial activities in the last two months, has jeopardised the state’s economy with industrial losses mounting over Rs.5,000 crore (Rs.50 billion),” said the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Assocham).
Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat said the state’s key industrial sectors - tourism, carpet, cottage, dry fruits and food processing - had suffered huge losses due to the continuing unrest over allocation of land to the management of board of a Himalayan shrine and the subsequent revocation of that allocation.
“Losses will further mount if the agitation does not subside. Exports will completely cease and the state will be driven towards complete economic upheaval,” Rawat said in a statement.
As per an earlier assessment by the industry body, exports from the Jammu region suffered by at least 30 percent.
Assocham projected that a peaceful Jammu and Kashmir could attract fresh investments of Rs.280 billion with export potential of around Rs.130 billion by 2012.
- Karnataka lags behind in attracting FDI: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- CAG reports creating suspicion, distrust: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- Lowering of sales tax on jet fuel required: Assocham - Dec 29, 2011
- India needs to invest in technology to raise exports - Sep 05, 2010
- Rationalise tax structure for aviation sector: Assocham - Nov 12, 2011
- Blackout hits business activities - Jul 30, 2012
- Chinese Holi items flood market - Mar 05, 2012
- Punjab's business clusters to create 5 lakh jobs - Dec 05, 2010
- Assocham sees cheerful growth for foreign liquor - Jul 04, 2012
- Power shortages may hit industrial output: Assocham - Oct 18, 2011
- Industry body seeks 100 percent FDI in defence - Mar 25, 2012
- Indian travellers to boost aviation, hospitality industry - May 13, 2011
- 'Organic farming sector to touch Rs.100 billion' - Jul 10, 2011
- Assocham wants stock broking firms to run banks - Nov 05, 2011
- 'India-Iran trade can touch $30 bn by 2015' - Feb 15, 2012