Jammu and Kashmir seeks more security forcesApril 29th, 2011 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 29 (IANS) Amid fears of another summer of riots and violence, the Jammu and Kashmir government has requisitioned additional forces from New Delhi to provide security during the upcoming Amarnath pilgrimage.
The state has asked for nearly 70 companies, or an estimated 7,000 personnel, for security of the pilgrims, official sources told IANS Friday.
This would be in addition to the forces that the state has spared for the pilgrimage that starts June 29.
The forces would have to be deployed from the first week of June.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said the state government was doing everything for the security and facility of the pilgrims.
“We are making all arrangements for the pilgrimage,” he had told reporters Thursday.
The annual Amarnath Yatra is an important part of the Hindu pilgrimage calendar. Thousands take part in the trek, organised by the state government, to the 14,000 ft high Amarnath Cave dedicated to Lord Shiva.
The summer of 2010 saw a series of massive riots in the state in which more than 100 people, mostly youngsters, were killed in clashes.
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration to commence Tuesday - May 09, 2011
- Hindu groups to go ahead with early Amarnath yatra - Jun 11, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- All set for Amarnath pilgrimage from June 29 - Jun 25, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, april 29, chief minister, clashes, fears, hindu pilgrimage, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, june 29, kashmir, New Delhi, pilgrims, riots, security forces, state government, trek, violence, youngsters