Jammu and Kashmir highways to have quick rescue teamsFebruary 25th, 2009 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 25 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Wednesday said fully equipped quick rescue teams (QRT) would be deployed with ambulances for immediate rescue operations in times of road accidents on national highways in the state.
He said four to five spots on the national highways and the Doda-Bhaderwah road would be identified for such deployment.
Personnel of the Border Roads Organisation would be deployed to regulate traffic on the national highways at spots where widening of the road is being undertaken.
The directions came after the chief minister visited the accident site on Bhaderwah Doda road where 41 people were killed in a bus accident Wednesday morning.
A bus on its way to Doda from Bhaderwah had skidded off the mountainous road near Pul Doda, about 170 km north of Jammu. The death toll has risen to 41, while 16 injured are undergoing treatment in different hospitals.
This is one of the worst accidents in the state in recent months.
Omar Abdullah has also suggested creation of a corpus to provide insurance cover to passengers travelling in commercial vehicles in the state so that in eventualities like Wednesday’s the families of the victims are paid relief from the corpus fund.
He also issued instructions that the Motor Vehicles Department should put commercial vehicles to stringent scrutiny annually.
- Eight die in Kashmir road accidents - Oct 23, 2011
- 38 killed, 19 injured in Jammu and Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- 25 killed, 17 injured in Jammu and Kashmir accident - Feb 25, 2009
- 9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu region - Mar 24, 2012
- Omar visits snow-hit Jammu region - Jan 09, 2012
- 5 die as bus falls into george in Jammu - Sep 07, 2012
- 30 missing after vehicle falls into river - Nov 05, 2011
- Three killed, 35 injured in Jammu road accident - Jan 15, 2010
- Seven people killed in Himachal accidents - May 09, 2012
- Eight pilgrims killed in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Two killed, 30 injured in Kashmir road accident - Jan 02, 2011
- 22 die in Kashmir road accident - Sep 13, 2011
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- Four killed, 51 injured in Doda bus accident - Jan 15, 2010