Jammu agitationists to hold talks with government SaturdayAugust 22nd, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 22 (IANS) The organisation leading an agitation here for the past two months on the Amarnath land row will begin talks with the government Saturday on resolving the issue, it was announced here Friday.”Our representatives will meet (the Jammu and Kashmir) governor’s panel at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning. We will discuss the issue of 40 hectacres of land that was first given to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board and later withdrawn by the state government,” Shri Amarnath Sangrash Samiti convenor Leela Karan Sharma told newsmen here.
The Samiti’s four-member panel “will seek to know whether the government will restore the land to shrine board or not. That is our basic issue and we will demand answers to that,” Sharma added.
Governor N.N. Vohra has constituted a four-member panel comprising his advisor (Home) Sudhir Singh Bloeria, retired high court judge G.D. Sharma, Jammu University vice chancellor Amitabh Mattoo and CEO of the Amarnath Shrine Board B.B. Vyas, who is also the governor’s principal secretary.
The state government had May 26 transferred a 40-hectare plot of land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board but later withdrew this following protests in the Muslim-dominated Kashmir valley. The revocation July 1 ignited an agitation in the Hindu majority Jammu region.
- Talks begin on Amarnath land row - Aug 23, 2008
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- First round of Amarnath land row talks 'constructive'(Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Samiti finally agrees for talks, but extends Jammu shutdown - Aug 20, 2008
- Finally a solution to Amarnath land row (Third Lead) - Aug 31, 2008
- Breakthrough likely in Amarnath land row (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Talks on Amarnath land row postponed - Aug 29, 2008
- Talks between government, Jammu protesters postponed - Aug 28, 2008
- Amarnath talks delayed by a few hours (Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Breakthrough in sight in Amarnath land row (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Panel formed for talks, agitators want land transfer first (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 07, 2008
- Vohra forms panel for talks with Amarnath agitation leaders - Aug 07, 2008
- Amarnath land row: J-K Govt., Sangharsh Samiti sign agreement - Aug 31, 2008
- 'Broad understanding' to solve Amarnath land row (Fourth Lead) - Aug 24, 2008
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012