Jamia to showcase curatorial practices in IndiaFebruary 18th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) “Transformation,” an art exhibition curated by the students of Jamia Millia Islamia at the M.F Husain art gallery, will showcase the history of curatorial practices in India, organisers said Friday. Five students from Jamia’s department of art history and art appreciation - Nisha Aggarwal, Pradeep, K. Arya, Satish Malviya and Romana Farid - are taking part in the five-day exhibition that begins Feb 21, a statement said.
“This is the first time the institute is helping students curate an exhibition,” a spokesperson for the Jamia Millia Islamia said.
The show will be inaugurated by Shobha Broota and will feature works by young artists like Rajkumar, Vaibhav Sharma, Anjani Kashyap, Udipti Jayaswal, Mala Srivastava, Varnita Mahajan, Rajnish Chhanesh and Waseem among others.
“The exhibition is a metamorphic process which gets defined through various aspects of human life, right from birth to death. It will explore this process of transformation taking into account socio-political issues of gender, class, caste etc among other things,” the statement said.
The show will also use various media of visual arts such as painting, sculpture, photographs, and installation in a wide variety of form and material to convey the essence of the theme.
According to the spokesperson, the exhibition was significant because “curatorial practises were becoming a key component in planning art exhibitions in India because art was using specific themes in its choice of exposition.”
Most galleries and government institutions in India were using art to engage in dialogue with the audience with more focus on art in public spaces and young contempoaray art that explored themes that were off the beaten track.
- Jamia Millia Islamia students paint global concerns - Jul 13, 2010
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- Family, friends recall Husain, colossus of Indian art - Sep 17, 2011
- Jamia school students to spread message of peace - Sep 17, 2010
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- 'Indian Highway' presents art of transition, growth in India to world: Curators - Jul 26, 2012
- Nine boys caught staying illegally in Jamia Millia hostels - Aug 10, 2011
- IBSA brainstorms on trilateral solutions - Oct 19, 2010
- Ramkinkar Baij colours Delhi's spring canvas (With Image) - Feb 09, 2012
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- Jamia to host Malyalam film festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Capital's boutique art trail abuzz ahead of Games (With Images) - Sep 06, 2010
- jamia to run 50-bed medical centre - Apr 28, 2012