Jamia organises cycle rally for ‘peace and pluralism’February 15th, 2010 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) After traversing over 440 km and spreading the message of “peace and pluralism”, a unique cycle rally organised by the Jamia Millia Islamia will end in Delhi Tuesday.
With the vision of “Dilon Ko Jodo”, the rally started from Lord Brahma’s Temple in Pushkar on Feb 6, paying homage at the tombs of Sufi Saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti at Ajmer, via Jaipur, to finally reach Jamia Millia Islami.
“It is a demonstration by students of Jamia of their commitment to national integration, peace and solidarity,” Jamia Vice-Chancellor Najeeb Jung said Monday.
At least 25 boys and girl students of the university drawn from all parts of India spread the University’s ideals of “peace, communal harmony and religious pluralism”.
The varsity said that these young ambassadors will be received by Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal and Minister of Minority Affairs Salman Khurshid.
Jamia is trying hard to shed its impression of a glorified madarssa and establish itself as a central university with global vision. Over 18,000 students students are pursuing education at Jamia currently.
- Sibal, Khurshid pat Jamia students for spirit of peace - Feb 16, 2010
- A rally with a secular message - Jan 04, 2010
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- Girl power in Jamia (To go with: Turkish language course flavour at Jamia) - Aug 05, 2012
- Jamia head appointed to RBI board - Sep 26, 2011
- New pro-vice-chancellor for Jamia Millia - Aug 16, 2010
- jamia to run 50-bed medical centre - Apr 28, 2012
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- We need to invest in our youth: Yechury - Oct 29, 2011
- Jamia Millia Islamia to have China and Afghan studies programmes - Nov 16, 2011
- Jamia school students to spread message of peace - Sep 17, 2010
- Jamia vice chancellor to 'play' a new role - Feb 25, 2011