Jamia Millia chief backs women’s quota billMay 2nd, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) Jamia Millia Islamia Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung Wednesday advocated the passage of the women’s reservation bill to empower the poor and ordinary Indian women.
Giving the Maulana Azad memorial lecture on ‘Governments, Governance and Sensitivity’ at the university, Jung said: “It took 14 years for the bill to reach the Rajya Sabha and the drama enacted in parliament would be an envy for a play writer.”
He highlighted the plight of women facing challenges like malnutrition, child marriages and multiple pregnancies.
“No one speaks for them. I have not seen a politician, a civil servant or an NGO who is not aware of the terrible condition of these women,” he said.
The audience included Law and Justice and Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Minister of State for Minority Affairs Vincent H. Pala, students and faculty.
The women’s reservation bill proposes 33 percent seats for women in parliament and state legislatures. The bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha in 2010. Now it is before the Lok Sabha.
Jung said the best of governments in independent India had failed to deliver good governance.
“After a period of time these governments tend to shut their eyes to the acute conditions of poverty and deprivation to the extent that they begin to believe that Rs.29 a day is adequate to sustain yourself,” he said.
- Maoists need 'hand holding': Jamia vice chancellor - May 02, 2012
- Jamia head appointed to RBI board - Sep 26, 2011
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- Girl power in Jamia (To go with: Turkish language course flavour at Jamia) - Aug 05, 2012
- jamia to run 50-bed medical centre - Apr 28, 2012
- Jamia to felicitate girl students admitted in male bastion - May 31, 2012
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Jamia's minority status won't make it a madrassa: Vice chancellor (Interview) - Feb 25, 2011
- AMU, Jamia born with minority character: Salman Khurshid - Mar 12, 2011
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- Turkish language course flavour at Jamia - Aug 05, 2012
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Check illegal migration from Bangladesh: Experts - Sep 09, 2012
- Jamia vice chancellor to 'play' a new role - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,