Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image)December 16th, 2011 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) The Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) Friday conferred the degree of ‘Doctor of Letters’ (D.Lit) on renowned economist and Nobel laureate Amartya Sen in a special convocation ceremony held here.
“In awarding this degree the university not only records its deep appreciation for his contribution to the field of economics but it honours itself,” said Jamia Vice-Chancellor Najeeb Jung speaking to a packed house at the M.A. Ansari auditorium.
“We had planned to honour Professor Sen at our convocation held last month but he was not available. So, we held this special convocation ceremony,” Jung later told IANS.
Praising the 91-year-old university, one of the country’s oldest, Sen said that Jamia was a union of education and tradition.
“I am delighted to receive this honour,” added the economist who was awarded the 1998 Nobel Prize in economic sciences and Bharat Ratna - the highest civilian award in India - the following year.
“Jamia is a place of great education. It’s a confluence of south Asian Muslim history, national heritage, and a global academic institution,” Sen later told IANS.
Jamia Millia Islamia, an institution originally established at Aligarh (Uttar Pradesh) in 1920 became a central university by an act of parliament in 1988.
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Dalai Lama conferred doctorate by Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Sufi singer Zila Khan to perform at Jamia - Feb 07, 2011
- Jamia head appointed to RBI board - Sep 26, 2011
- We need to invest in our youth: Yechury - Oct 29, 2011
- 'Jamia can receive and spend foreign funds' - Sep 21, 2012
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- Jamia admits 27 homeless kids in schools - Apr 12, 2011
- jamia to run 50-bed medical centre - Apr 28, 2012
- New pro-vice-chancellor for Jamia Millia - Aug 16, 2010
- Jamia Millia Islamia to have China and Afghan studies programmes - Nov 16, 2011
- Girl power in Jamia (To go with: Turkish language course flavour at Jamia) - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: academic institution, act of parliament, bharat, confluence, convocation ceremony, economic sciences, great education, honour, honours, jamia millia islamia, jmi, muslim history, najeeb, national heritage, nobel laureate amartya, nobel prize, renowned economist, south asian muslim, uttar pradesh, vice chancellor