‘Jamia can receive and spend foreign funds’September 21st, 2012 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) The home ministry has clarified that Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) is exempt from all provisions of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) and there is no bar on the university receiving or spending foreign contributions, a university statement said Friday.
Following reports in some sections of the media in August that the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) Registration of Jamia Millia Islamia along with many other organisations and NGOs had been cancelled, the university gave a report of its returns to the government, the statement said.
“JMI represented to the MHA that the university had submitted the returns diligently included and gave proof for the same,” the statement said.
“As per the Government of India Gazette Notification dated July 1, 2011, all statutory Bodies having their accounts audited through Comptroller & Auditor General of India are exempt from all provisions of the Foreign Contributions Regulations Act (FCRA),” the statement added.
The ministry scrapped the FCRA registration for 4,139 top educational institutions, including many premier institutes, disallowing them from accepting foreign donations. The ministry said the institutions had “failed to submit satisfactory supporting documents” of the fund usage.
Jamia Millia Islamia, an institution originally established at Aligarh (Uttar Pradesh) in 1920, became a central university by an act of parliament in 1988.
- IIT-Kanpur barred from taking foreign donations - Sep 03, 2012
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- Need clarification on Foreign Currency Regulation Act: CII - Nov 13, 2011
- CBI resgisters case against Delhi-based organisation - Mar 09, 2012
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Jamia shortlists MA and MPhil English candidates - Jun 20, 2012
- Jamia is minority institution, rules commission - Feb 22, 2011
- Jamia to continue with its minority status: High Court - May 18, 2011
Tags: act of parliament, auditor general, comptroller, educational institutions, fcra, gazette notification, government of india, home ministry, islamia, jmi, july 1, mha, New Delhi, ngos, organisations, parliament, provisions, regulation act, statutory bodies, uttar pradesh