Jamaican sprinter Mullings faces life banNovember 18th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), Nov 18 (IANS) Jamaican sprinter Steve Mullings might be banned for life after being found guilty of using the banned substance furosemide.
Mullings’ urine sample was found positive of diuretic, which can serve as a masking agent for other drugs, after he came in third in the 100-meter final at the Jamaican National Trials on June 24.
“We have listened to the evidence in the hearing for the past two weeks and we have considered the depositions carefully,” Lennox Gayle, head of a three-man disciplinary panel, said Thursday. “It is a unanimous verdict that Mr. Mullings is guilty of having furosemide in both his A and B samples,” Xinhua reported.
Mullings had in 2004 been banned for two years after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone at the Jamaican championships.
Under IAAF rules, an athlete who receives a second ban for a prohibitive substance will be banned for life from taking part in the sport.
The 28-year-old sprinter said he would appeal to the Court of Arbitration in Sports.
- Jamaican sprinter Mullings gets lifetime ban for doping offence - Nov 22, 2011
- Olympics: Moroccan runner expelled for doping - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast suspended for doping (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Windies women's cricketer gets five-month ban - Nov 19, 2011
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast provisionally suspended for doping - Jul 29, 2012
- Brazilian swimmer banned for two years - Jun 28, 2012
- Police, paramilitary athletes fall into dope trap - Apr 22, 2012
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Indian athletes should do blood tests every month: Johnson - Jul 30, 2011
- Gayle could return as Jamaican captain - Oct 05, 2011
- French steeplechase runner banned for 10 years - Aug 29, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: arbitration, athlete, depositions, disciplinary panel, diuretic, drugs, furosemide, june 24, kingston jamaica, life ban, Sports, sprinter, steve mullings, testosterone, unanimous verdict, urine sample, xinhua