Jalikattu is Tamil youths’ test of manhoodJanuary 19th, 2009 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Penang (Malaysia), Jan 19 (IANS) Tamil youths here flaunted their sporty prowess performing Jalikattu, the bull-fight, at the 100th annual Pongal festival, a media report said Monday. “It was a test of manhood for young men,” The Star newspaper said.
Jalikattu is performed at the end of the harvest festival, when the Tamil community gathers to give thanks for the year’s prosperity and prove their worth through a series of daring competitions.
Groups of youths face off with bulls, weighing over 400 kg, in an effort to yank off garlands from their horns.
Each garland containing RM100 (about $30) is to be shared among the successful group of bull chasers.
A bulk of Malaysia’s two million-plus Indian diaspora are Tamil Hindus who celebrate the harvest festival annually.
There are other sports too.
Valuku Maram or grease pole climbing proved to be a more daunting challenge as young men supported each other to reach the top of a 9.8-metre pole.
The reward? RM1,000 in cash.
Kampung Buah Pala residents’ association chairman M. Sugumaran, 54, said it was a double celebration for the community as they had recently won a court case related to the village land.
“We are are talking to the state government, to hopefully declare this village a heritage village,” he said.
On Nov 10 last year, the high court dismissed an appeal by a cooperative and developer of an apartment project for possession of a piece of land occupied by the cattle rearers in the village.
- 'Mattu Pongal' celebrated with traditional fervour in Tamil Nadu - Jan 15, 2011
- Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu with traditional fervour - Jan 15, 2012
- Tamilians geared up to celebrate Pongal - Jan 14, 2011
- Malay Indians to celebrate Pongal in grand way - Jan 14, 2011
- Malay-Indian village faces demolition threat - Jun 07, 2009
- Dark Deepavali for residents of Malaysia's demolished village - Oct 16, 2009
- Leaders greet people on Pongal, Sankranti - Jan 14, 2012
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Colourful Sankranti celebrations in Andhra - Jan 15, 2012
- DAP veteran urges Malaysian Govt. to focus on Indian interests - Jun 30, 2010
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Pongal with sweet dish and thanksgiving - Jan 15, 2011
- Bullfighting draws thousands to Himachal fair - Sep 16, 2010
- Pongal celebrated with traditional fervour in Tamil Nadu - Jan 14, 2010
- Hindraf supporters hold protests to save Penang village - Jul 01, 2009
- India celebrates harvest festival in diverse forms (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010