Jaitley to visit Karnataka to review situationMay 17th, 2012 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley will visit Karnataka Friday to take a stock of the situation in the crisis-ridden party-run state government, party sources said Thursday.
Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, will be meeting former chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa, who has been agitating for the replacement of his successor D.V. Sadananda Gowda, during his two-day visit to the state. Dharmendra Pradhan, who is in charge of the party’s affairs in Karnataka, will accompany him, party sources added.
Yeddyurappa was the first BJP chief minister in south India, but a crisis has been looming over the state unit ever since his removal last year on charges of corruption.
Last Saturday, he claimed securing resignations of nine state ministers loyal to him in a bid to force the BJP leaders to replace Gowda — originally his chosen successor — with another person of his choice.
Yeddyurappa had indicated he would resign from the party Monday but he announced he had put off the decision following calls from party chief Nitin Gadkari as well as Jaitley.
- Jaitley reaching Bangalore on trouble-shooting mission (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Congress gets active as ruling BJP crisis continues (Lead, Karnataka Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Congress gets active as ruling BJP crisis continues (Karnataka Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- BJP mulls replacing Karnataka chief minister to save government - Jul 03, 2012
- Karnataka crisis subsides, nine ministers withdraw resignations (Third Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- BJP rushes emissary to resolve Karnataka crisis - Jun 30, 2012
- Factions sprout by the day in ruling BJP (Karnataka Newsletter) - Jun 29, 2012
- Jockeying for power in Karnataka delays leadership change - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP emissary in Bangalore to save government (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Eight Karnataka ministers quit, demand chief minister's ouster (Third Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Karnataka BJP crisis persists, scene shifts to Delhi (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Karnataka BJP government safe, for now (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Election of new BJP leader in Karnataka Aug 3 - Aug 01, 2011
- Talks on with Yeddyurappa, says Gadkari (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Gowda quits as Karnataka CM (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: bjp leaders, chief minister, corruption, dharmendra, government party, gowda, last saturday, leader of opposition, New Delhi, party chief, party sources, rajya sabha, resignations, south india, state government, state ministers, stock