Jaitley moves court to retain passportJuly 2nd, 2012 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Samata Party chief Jaya Jaitley, facing trial in a graft case linked to a purported defence deal, Monday moved a Delhi court seeking permission to “retain” her passport.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Kanwaljeet Arora asked the agency to file a reply on her plea by July 12.
In her application, Jaitley said she needed her passport every now and then for her visits abroad to attend such panel discussions on various issues.
Maenwhile she submitted her passport to the court following a week-long trip to Singapore.
The court had May 11 has allowed her to visit Singapore from May 30 to June 8 to attend apanel debate on “Women Leading Change: Asia 2012″.
Jaitley is facing trial for allegedly taking Rs.2 lakh as bribe in December 2000 for recommending a fictitious defence deal to the defence ministry.
The case stems out of a sting operation, “Operation Westend”, aired by news portal Tehelka.com in January 2001.
The CBI alleged that Jaitley, her former party colleague Gopal Pacherwal and Maj. Gen. (retd) S.P. Murgai accepted illegal gratification from Mathew Samuel, who posed as a representative of Westend International company for obtaining orders to supply the army hand-held thermal imagers.
The CBI filed the charge sheet against Jaitley and two others in 2006.
- Jaya Jaitley allowed to retain passport - Jul 12, 2012
- Court notice to CBI on Jaya Jaitly's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Court begins trial against Jaya Jaitley in defence deal - Apr 20, 2012
- Court allows Jaya Jaitley to visit Singapore - May 01, 2012
- Jaya Jaitley to stand trial in 'defence deal' case (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Cut surety amount, Jaya Jaitly tells court (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Court notice to CBI on Jaya Jaitley plea - May 11, 2012
- High Court reduces Jaya Jaitley's surety amount - May 14, 2012
- Court frames charges against Jaya Jaitley in 'defence deal' - Mar 05, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court decision in Bangaru Laxman graft case Friday - Apr 26, 2012
- Court decision April 27 on Bangaru Laxman graft case - Apr 22, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman gets four years' jail for bribery (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for taking bribe (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: arora, bribe, cbi, central bureau of investigation, defence ministry, delhi court, graft case, gratification, jaya jaitley, kanwaljeet, lakh, leading change, long trip, mathew, panel discussions, party chief, rs 2, samata party, special judge, sting operation