Jaitley compliments Pranab, injects mirth in proceedingsDecember 29th, 2011 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Injecting a note of levity in the Rajya Sabha during the debate on the Lokpal bill, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley said it was unfortunate that Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was not a lawyer and could not argue on both sides.
Jaitley said his respect for Mukherjee, the government’s key troubleshooter and negotiator, was known. Mukherjee was the most senior parliamentarian in both houses, he said.
The leader of the opposition in the upper house, who initiated the debate on the anti-graft Lokpal bill, then went on to say that it was unfortunate that Mukherjee was not a lawyer and could not argue on both sides.
The comment by the lawyer-politician led to much mirth and the house and even the normally serious Mukherjee, listening intently, burst into laughter.
- Rajya Sabha allots six hours for Lokpal debate - Aug 27, 2011
- War of words as Rajya Sabha debates Lokpal (Evening Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- BJP wants PM, CBI, lower bureaucracy under Lokpal - Dec 11, 2011
- Lokpal bill up for debate in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Lokpal debate for 7 hours, can be extended: Speaker - Aug 27, 2011
- The day India's MPs created history - Aug 28, 2011
- Lokpal in Rajya Sabha, Congress in Trinamool tangle (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lokpal debate bypassing standing committee: Lalu Prasad - Aug 27, 2011
- BJP, Team Anna agree on Jan Lokpal Bill - Aug 26, 2011
- Lokpal bill not under duress, all views considered: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Government creating subservient Lokpal: Jaitley (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- All party meet likely on Lokpal bill - Mar 21, 2012
- Lokpal bill sent to select committee of Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Anna's movement brought Lokpal issue to people: Sushma Swaraj - Aug 27, 2011
- Nation at crossroads, discuss Lokpal issue dispassionately: Pranab (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: anti graft, arun jaitley, compliments, finance minister, laughter, lawyer, leader of the opposition, levity, mirth, negotiator, New Delhi, parliamentarian, politician, pranab mukherjee, proceedings, rajya sabha, troubleshooter, upper house