Jairam calls for eradicating open defecation by 2022February 15th, 2012 - 11:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Wednesday called for making India an open defecation-free country in 10 years.
Addressing a national consultation on scaling up sanitation here, Ramesh said there is a need to build a mass movement on the issue as the country accounts for almost 60 percent of open defecation in the world.
Calling for a major paradigm shift in policy and approach to deal with this problem, he favoured greater integration of finance, technology and civil society movement to achieve the goal.
He also asked the officials to have a relook at the funds allocated per toilet in rural areas, which is Rs.3,000 at present and not realistic.
The minister also assured substantial budgetary increase in the 12th Five Year Plan, which could range between 40 to 60 percent enhancement as the central government’s current total spending for the drinking water and sanitation is only Rs.10,000 crore.
- 'Hera-pheri' in total sanitation programme: Jairam Ramesh - Aug 14, 2012
- Jairam wants India to be 'open defecation-free' in a decade - Jun 25, 2012
- Women demanding mobile phones but not toilets, says Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- Total sanitation campaign being seen as 'token', says Ramesh - Feb 17, 2012
- India is world's capital for open defecation, says Ramesh - Jul 27, 2012
- Sanitation disastrous in India: Ramesh - Nov 02, 2011
- Open defecation will end in 10 years, says Ramesh - Jun 30, 2012
- Eight lakh volunteers to create sanitation awareness: Jairam - Feb 21, 2012
- Vidya Balan to promote sanitation campaign - May 03, 2012
- Ramesh for low-cost sanitation solutions - May 30, 2012
- NGOs to help in evaluation of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan: Ramesh - Sep 18, 2012
- Be sensitive to women's requirements: Jairam Ramesh - Apr 08, 2012
- Women can be prime movers of sanitation, says Patil - Mar 21, 2012
- Funds for building toilets to be hiked: Jairam - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: 10 years, central government, development minister, drinking water, enhancement, finance technology, India, jairam ramesh, mass movement, national consultation, New Delhi, open defecation, paradigm shift, relook, rural areas, rural development, toilet, water and sanitation