Jaipur answers terrorists with candlelight vigilMay 16th, 2008 - 12:02 am ICT by admin
Jaipur, May 15 (IANS) People from across all communities in Jaipur Thursday evening gathered near the Manas Chowk police station, where one of the eight bombs went off two days ago, and lit 63 candles, one each for the lives lost in the terror attack. “This is our fight against terrorism. We should all come forward and tell these terrorist organizations that we are one,” said Haji Syed Alvi, a representative of the Noor Suni Centre.
As many as 2,000 people gathered at the blast site under the banner of the Jaipur Zila Shanti Committee (Jaipur District Peace Committee) and lit the candles in the memory of those who lost their lives in the blasts.
The death toll in the serial blasts was put at 63 before being revised to 61 Thursday.
Moinuddin, chairperson of the Muslim Forum, said: “People who commit such heinous crimes should be given death sentence immediately.”
Swami Anjan Das of the Hindu Samaj said: “It is for the first time that the Pink City has witnessed terror. It just highlights the fact that nobody is safe against terrorism. Life won’t be the same again for us”.
Vijay Paul of a church here said: “The terrorists cannot prove any point by claiming the lives of innocent people. Violence cannot solve any problem.”
- Pune pays tribute to German Bakery blast victims (Lead) - Feb 13, 2011
- Indian Americans criticise government for Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- 'Indian government a bunch of softies' (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani condemn Karachi shrine blasts - Oct 07, 2010
- Seven killed in two suicide blasts at Karachi shrine (Roundup) - Oct 08, 2010
- Mumbai celebrates Kasab's death sentence with sweets - May 06, 2010
- Two 1993 Jaipur blast accused jailed - Apr 24, 2012
- With flowers, candles Kolkata mourns its hospital victims - Dec 10, 2011
- 3,169 people killed in 2,488 terror incidents in Pakistan in last two years - Apr 09, 2011
- EU condemns 'heinous' Mumbai attack - Jul 14, 2011
- Now, ID proof must to buy bicycles in Jaipur - Aug 03, 2012
- One held for Ajmer Dargah blast, more arrests likely: ATS (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- One held for Ajmer Dargah blast - Apr 30, 2010
- One held for Ajmer Dargah blast (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Fisherman community observes sixth anniversary of Tsunami in Chennai - Dec 26, 2010