Jain temple in Andhra opens for pilgrims after 20 yearsDecember 8th, 2008 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 8 (IANS) The 2,500-year-old Sri Shwethambar Jain Tirth temple was reopened for pilgrims after 20 long years of renovation work.The temple at Kolanpak in Andhra Pradesh’s Nalgonda district was opened Sunday after a day-long special puja “pran pratishta” of a four-faced idol of Jain deities “Chaumukha” was performed by Acharya Rajesh Suriswar, temple president Surendra Lunia said. The rituals conclude Monday.
Hundreds of devotees from various parts of the country and abroad, besides Home Minister K. Jana Reddy and local public representatives participated in the event.
About 150 Jains from New Jersey and United States also took part in the puja at the temple, which is considered as one of the top 10 Jain pilgrimage centres in the world.
The temple authorities said over 1,000 workers, artisans and stone cutters worked for two decades to complete the renovation work at a cost of Rs.110 million.
Jain philanthropists and members of the community in Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat donated the amount.
“The renovation work was completed in two parts. The renovation of the main temple took 16 years to complete while the other smaller temples in the complex took about four years,” said Surendra.
Out of the total 20 acre land, the temples stand on one acre. The remaining land houses a dharamshala, guest houses with about 160 rooms, a museum and a library for visitors.
- Mega celebrations mark Jain temple bi-centenary - Apr 15, 2012
- I want to do something special for Pran saab: Arjun Rampal - Apr 26, 2012
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- SC notice to government on supply of adulterated milk - May 09, 2012
- Fire-ravaged Mantralaya to get new look - Aug 30, 2012
- Mayawati opens Ambedkar statues - Dec 06, 2010
- India helps fill gap in hallowed Nepal pilgrim shrine - Jun 21, 2010
- Age-old Technicians Studio to be revamped: Mamata - Sep 30, 2011
- Two arrested in housing fraud case - Jun 20, 2011
- Bangladeshi firm to set up agro-processing plants in Tripura - May 24, 2012
- Andhra court stays release of water to Krishna delta - Jul 16, 2012
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- 15 killed as Hampi Express hits stationary train in Andhra (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- CBI questioning Jagan for second day - Jun 04, 2012