Jails housing Maoists to have mobile phone jammersFebruary 27th, 2010 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 27 (IANS) In a bid to suffocate plots of possible jail breaks by arrested Maoists, mobile phone jammers will be installed at seven jails in Chhattisgarh.
“There will be 25 cell phone jammers to be installed at seven jails, at a cost of Rs.6 crore. The trial process is on and we plan to make the system operational within the next few weeks. This will help us to prevent cellular phones from receiving signals from or transmitting signals to base stations,” an official of the jail department here told IANS Saturday.
The jammers would be installed at four jails located at Raipur, Bilaspur, Jagdalpur and Ambikapur towns besides the district jail at Kanker, sub-jails at Katghora in Korba district and Dantewada, the worst Maoist insurgency-hit district of the country.
In December 2007, a group of Maoists lodged at the Dantewada sub-jail, 380 km from Raipur, had successfully plotted a jail break by using mobile phones. Some 300 prisoners, including about 100 leftist rebels, managed to escape.
Later, the state government had decided to go in for mobile phone jammers at jails where Maoist guerrillas and dreaded criminals were housed.
The jammers will also help the jail authorities to curb organised crime and extortion businesses being operated by hardcore criminals from the prisons with the help of mobile phones.
- Chhattisgarh to give cheap grams in Maoist-hit districts - May 29, 2011
- 379 Maoists on hunger strike in Chhattisgarh jail - Jan 13, 2011
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Cop killed, 24 others injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Maoists kill cop in Chhattisgarh - May 13, 2012
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast - Jun 02, 2012
- Bombs found in Chhattisgarh's Maoist heartland - Jan 01, 2012
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- Traders, students join Anna's protest in Chhattisgarh - Aug 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh has 11,361 prisoners against jsil capacity of 5,219 - Feb 03, 2009
- Maoists open fire at six places in Chhattisgarh - Jul 14, 2010
- Five bombs found in Chhattisgarh - Sep 26, 2011
- Maoists abduct two villagers - Jan 10, 2012
- Tihar security tightened, court told - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: cellular phones, chhattisgarh, criminals, district jail, extortion, jagdalpur, jail authorities, jail break, jails, leftist rebels, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, mobile phone jammers, mobile phones, prisoners, prisons, raipur, rs 6, state government