Jailer, guards suspended after Chhattisgarh prison outbreakMay 16th, 2008 - 1:19 pm ICT by admin
Raipur, May 16 (IANS) A jailer and two guards were suspended in Chhattisgarh Friday, hours after 11 murder convicts escaped from a jail in Jashpur district. The prisoners escaped late Thursday from the district jail in Jashpur, about 450 km from the state capital here.
Santkumar Paswan, director general of police (jails), said jail-in-charge A.K. Kujur and two guards had been suspended and a departmental inquiry had been ordered.
“Five of the fugitives have been re-arrested while police have surrounded a massive forested area in Jashpur where the other six are hiding,” Paswan told IANS.
Paswan said the convicts had tied the hands of the jail guards and gagged them before escaping.
In December 2007, a group of jailed Maoists overpowered security guards in a jail in the restive Dantewada district and engineered the biggest jailbreak in the state in which 299 inmates managed to escape. Most of them are still at large.
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- 379 Maoists on hunger strike in Chhattisgarh jail - Jan 13, 2011
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Jailbreak through toilet in Goa; three escape (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- 32 prisoners flee Mexican jail - Sep 20, 2011
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012
- Six prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Nov 27, 2011
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Meerut jail-break: Prisons across Uttar Pradesh raided - Jul 21, 2010
- Two Madhya Pradesh officials fired for releasing SIMI members (Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- 13 prisoners escape from prison van in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 09, 2012
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010