Jailed rapist released early assaults again within weeksJune 8th, 2011 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 8 (IANS) A rapist, who was freed before fully serving his prison term, has been held for sexually assaulting another woman within a few weeks of his release, a media report said.
Fabian Thomas, 23, was released last December after serving only four years of an eight-year sentence for rape. He struck again in February, attacking a woman in a supermarket car park, The Telegraph reported Wednesday.
Thomas committed his first offence on New Year’s Day 2006 when he twice raped and threatened to kill a girl, aged 17, in an alley in Taunton, Somerset.
He was sentenced in December 2006 to eight years in a young offenders’ institution.
In December 2010, he was released. But he committed his second attack Feb 20 early this year, when he attempted to rape a 19-year-old in a supermarket car park, threatening his victim with a knife.
A Home Office spokesman said a review would be carried out into how Thomas was managed while on probation.
But women’s groups and politicians here seized on the case Tuesday night as an example of the consequences of letting rapists out of prison early.
The Home Office is now investigating the case.
The case comes just weeks after Kenneth Clarke, the British Justice Secretary, had to apologise following his defence of government proposals to halve prison sentences for rapists who plead guilty early.
He had suggested that some rapes were less serious than others.
- Man jailed in Britain for raping drunk women - Sep 24, 2011
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Narayanan asks media not to sensationalise rape cases - Mar 01, 2012
- Manu Sharma granted parole, barred from nightclubs - Nov 16, 2011
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- Ear Based 'Male Virginity Test' Frees 3 Convicted Rapists - Jul 02, 2010
- Rapist exposes himself to judge in Britain - Sep 21, 2012
- Two Russians jailed for raping 83-year-old woman - Jul 10, 2012
- Mexican footballers in trouble for mock gunplay - Oct 18, 2011
- Rapist jailed in failed attempt to abduct girl - Jul 28, 2012
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- Alleged Kolkata rapist sent to police custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Malaysian Fritzl gets 40 years prison term - Jul 06, 2010
- Castration as punishment for rape? The debate intensifies - May 06, 2011
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,