Jailed legislators helped Congress: BJPMay 3rd, 2012 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 3 (IANS) Jharkhand’s ruling BJP, which lost the Rajya Sabha polls from the state Thursday, has accused the Congress of winning by securing the support of independents and jailed legislators.
“We managed to secure 20 votes. Congress secured 25 votes by managing to get the votes of two jailed legislators and by luring independent legislators. We did not venture into securing the votes of tainted legislators,” Jharkhand BJP president Dineshanand Goswami told reporters.
Jailed ex-ministers and legislators Enos Ekka and Harinarayan Rai voted in favour of the Congress. Both are in jail for the last two- and-a-half years in graft cases. Geeta Koda, wife of jailed former chief Minister Madhu Koda, also voted in favour of the Congress.
Sixty-eight legislators of the 81-member assembly cast their votes, with Congress, JMM and BJP candidates Pradeep Balmuchu, Sanjiv Kumar and Ahluwalia securing 25, 23 and 20 votes respectively.
The Congress, which has 13 legislators, sailed through by securing the votes of five RJD members and seven independents. It said that ruling alliance partner JMM should seek resignation of Chief Minister Arjun Munda.
“The JMM should seek the resignation of Arjun Munda,” Congress legislative party leader Rajendra Singh told reporters.
The two Rajya Sabha seats fell vacant as the terms of BJP’s Ahluwalia and Congress’ Mabel Rebello ended.
The polling had taken place March 30 but the Election Commission of India countermanded this after Rs.2.15 crore was seized from vehicle of a relative of an independent candidate.
- Munda licks wounds after BJP defeat - May 04, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: Congress, JMM win, BJP loses - May 03, 2012
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Not enough done to secure Ahluwalia's win: BJP - May 04, 2012
- Ahuwalia files nomination for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 21, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll on May 3 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Six in fray for two Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 19, 2012
- 'Congress MP offered me Rs.25 lakh bribe' - Apr 23, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll: BJP says Munda government safe - May 02, 2012
- Arjun Munda wins trust vote (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Munda recommends CBI probe in Rajya Sabha polls - Apr 19, 2012
- With RS horse trading reports, Jharkhand in news for wrong reasons - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: ahluwalia, alliance partner, arjun munda, bjp, chief minister, crore, ekka, election commission of india, independent candidate, independent legislators, jmm, member assembly, party leader, rajendra singh, rajya sabha, ranchi, rebello, rs 2, sanjiv kumar, two and a half years