Jailed don’s henchman arrested for extortion demandsOctober 7th, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 7 (IANS) A henchman of underworld gangster Fazal-ur-Rehman has been arrested here for allegedly trying to extort money from affluent businessmen in the capital, the police said Tuesday.Naseem alias Tanveer was arrested from near the Inderlok Metro station in north Delhi Sunday.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Alok Kumar said Tanveer was a henchman of underworld don Fazal-ur-Rehman alias Fazalu, who was arrested two years ago from the India-Nepal border under various charges of extortion and kidnappings.
Fazalu is at present lodged in Delhi’s Tihar jail.
“We have received a complaint in August that a henchman of Fazal-ur-Rehman is making extortion threats to affluent businessman of Delhi. A technical and manual surveillance was mounted and he was arrested,” Kumar said.
“Tanveer in his interrogation said that after the arrest of Fazalu, he came to Delhi to help him in his case proceedings. After staying in Delhi for 10 days he went back to Bihar,” he added.
The police said after one and a half month he returned to Delhi and stayed in a rented accommodation.
He visited Fazalu on his court dates. Fazalu asked Tanveer to look after his underworld activities, the police said.
“About a month back Fazalu asked Tanveer to pass mobile numbers of three affluent businessmen of Delhi to one of his associates, Mauseem, who made extortion calls and demanded huge sums of money,” he added.
The police said Tanveer was arrested in Bihar for kidnapping a jeweller for ransom but he escaped in 2004.
- Chargesheet filed against gangster Fazal-ur-Rehman - Dec 02, 2008
- Four held for murder - Oct 28, 2011
- Indian gangster behind new murder attempt in Nepal - Jun 26, 2011
- Gangster Babloo challenges crime charges - Nov 03, 2009
- Businessmen's kidnapper granted bail - Mar 09, 2010
- Dawood Ibrahim's aide arrested - Oct 08, 2010
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail - Jul 23, 2012
- Mumbai Police claim to have 'broken' underworld's back-bone - Jan 11, 2012
- Teen held for killing four-year-old - Nov 02, 2011
- Police remand for former Chhota Rajan aide - Aug 12, 2011
- Two held for kidnapping, killing lawyer's son - Nov 26, 2011
- Two criminals held in Delhi - Sep 23, 2011
- Extortionist held in Delhi - Jun 25, 2012
- India Mujahideen terrorist arrested from UP - May 14, 2012
- CBI arrests four for kidnapping two businessmen - Nov 28, 2011